Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: AFairley on October 09, 2013, 12:50:13 pm

Title: Katherine Cone
Post by: AFairley on October 09, 2013, 12:50:13 pm
(http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/2013/content/images/large/Katherine_Cone.jpg)
Title: Re: Katherine Cone
Post by: RSL on October 09, 2013, 04:36:33 pm
Yes! Alan. And you need the color, just as you need color for a red car.
Title: Re: Katherine Cone
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 09, 2013, 05:05:47 pm
Speaking of photographic styles... is that New Topographics?

In any case, it seems to me that you've developed a clean style, whatever the label might be. A style that I like and enjoy seeing.
Title: Re: Katherine Cone
Post by: AFairley on October 10, 2013, 02:26:20 pm
Thanks, guys.  (I hang these in the office, and a lot of the time the reaction is just bafflement.)  

Slobodan, I guess that a lot of what I do could fall into New Topographics, but I think there is a difference, in that my take on the New Topographics guys is that they were mostly interested in what is there, while (though not all of the time) I'm more interested in the light, and if the light ain't doin' it, I don't care about photographing what is there.  I also am more into finding beauty of some sort in the urban landscape, while I think of New Topographics as being more concerned with reportage with in some cases a subtext of social commentary.  That said, the "acutality of place" is important to me, which is why I include location and date in subtitles/captions, so in that sense I am doing reportage too.