Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ed Blagden on October 08, 2013, 02:20:55 am

Title: Abstract Selfie
Post by: Ed Blagden on October 08, 2013, 02:20:55 am
Not at all sure about this one.  Comments and criticism sincerely welcomed.
Title: Re: Abstract Selfie
Post by: Peter McLennan on October 08, 2013, 10:58:32 am
I like it.

I see it as an abstract, though,not a selfie.  Perhaps with a few more exposures and a little bit of luck with the water, you might have revealed a touch more "portrait" info. ie, your face. : )

Title: Re: Abstract Selfie
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 08, 2013, 02:27:22 pm
That has to be the most interesting selfie I have seen.
Title: Re: Abstract Selfie
Post by: RSL on October 08, 2013, 06:27:04 pm
Looks more like a whozie than a selfie.
Title: Re: Abstract Selfie
Post by: Ed Blagden on October 09, 2013, 02:56:09 am
I like it.

I see it as an abstract, though,not a selfie.  Perhaps with a few more exposures and a little bit of luck with the water, you might have revealed a touch more "portrait" info. ie, your face. : )


You are quite right.  The title is a bit of a private joke.  The selfie thing came about when I made a print and showed it to my family.  My teenage daughter asked me what it was and I told her, and she said "So Dad, that's a selfie".  Showing my age, I had to ask her what a selfie was.  Ever since they have referred to the picture as Dad's Selfie!  When I took the shot my intention was to make an abstract, period.

I have been going through my catalogue recently and I'm really getting in to photos with interesting textures, and this is one of them.  Looks good on baryt paper.
Title: Re: Abstract Selfie
Post by: fike on October 10, 2013, 10:41:25 am
Ah yes, the selfie...perhaps the most common type of photograph ever taken and at the same time the most authentic too.  I am actually pretty fond of selfies because they actually present to you what the photographer wants to portray with less of a filter--a truly willing subject.  This one is a bit too abstract to be recognizable but the fact that you identify it as self-portrait is interesting and telling.  Nice work.

Here is an interesting selfie my grandfather took in the early 1960s.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailpixie/5949974397/in/set-72157627098604321
(http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6012/5949974397_64f8fe22d2_b.jpg)