Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on October 02, 2013, 12:31:25 pm

Title: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 02, 2013, 12:31:25 pm
Just another statue in the City Of Paris
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: WalterEG on October 02, 2013, 02:18:28 pm
They seem very Western facial features to me.  I wonder if this is not a little like the blue eyed blonde Renaissance Italian renderings of the Christ.

Any info about the logistics of shooting this one?

W
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 02, 2013, 02:25:12 pm
Just looked Egyptian/ Nile-ish to me .. Have no idea what the statue represented --- I just walk streets and shoot .. this was a 150mm lens /tripod and 100 film ...
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: brandtb on October 02, 2013, 06:07:21 pm
Fontaine du Palmier, Place du Chatelet...a memorial to Napleon's Egyptian campaign.  The extra-extraordinary Sainte Chapelle's spire in the bg
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 02, 2013, 06:17:34 pm
Fontaine du Palmier, Place du Chatelet...a memorial to Napleon's Egyptian campaign.  The extra-extraordinary Sainte Chapelle's spire in the bg

Merci Monsieur  --- I have been so many times to Europe  >>  BUT I never inquire into what I'm pointing my camera to  /  ::)  \
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: WalterEG on October 02, 2013, 06:19:46 pm
...a memorial to Napleon's Egyptian campaign.

Surely the greatest memorial to his Egyptian campaign is the damage that his artillery preactice did to the pyramids of Giza.

Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: brandtb on October 02, 2013, 06:32:53 pm
De rien ...
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 03, 2013, 02:06:28 pm
I just walk the streets -- another spot you probably know all the info on  ;D -- I shoot and walk on ..a little tower and few bridges I might know the title to.... ???
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: brandtb on October 03, 2013, 02:36:10 pm
Nice shot Joe...really like this view too...Hotel de Ville
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 03, 2013, 04:07:42 pm
Nice shot Joe...really like this view too...Hotel de Ville
Sometimes its a long wait -- to have a clear shot without tourists  ... we never thought about CS in those days  :D
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: brandtb on October 03, 2013, 08:01:31 pm
Well when you see images of the H. d. V. it usually straight on from a distance. What I love about this (coming from my architect self) is that in one fairly tight oblique view you capture a lot of the "essentials" or "DNA" of what this building is about at least from exterior style. The thin chimneys flanking the roofs, the towering roofs and the very interesting corner roof pavilions, the dark bell tower (which I love), and the recessed sculptural figures along the middle massing, and the rhythm of the facade. The newer water feature is basically hidden except for the great water sprays, but creates a nice grounding for the image with the horizontal lines...and the foliage. Putting myself in the "shoes of a typical viewer..."I would never understand the uniqueness of this building unless I had seen an image like this.
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 04, 2013, 02:43:34 pm
Another angle :-)
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 04, 2013, 02:44:31 pm
More of the fountain spray ~~
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: brandtb on October 04, 2013, 06:58:57 pm
The straight on of center roof not so succesful to me...shots like that present themselves with among other things... "where do you cut off the bottom"...just below the cornice?, little bit of window below the cornice?, lot more window below the cornice? Almost better to do a tight crop of some frontal detail. The second oblique view not nearly as succesful as the one with plantings...which is a nice "living organic" relief from all the stone...and also the curve of the shrub on right made the orig. more interesting to me

An aside, you might like to see some architecture/urban shots from a recent trip we took to Bruges, Amsterdam... at about 1:57 in the clip starts  Bruges, then Amsterdam. Note that I was just using a Lumix LX7 basically doing these on the fly...was with my wife on vacation...and not there for shooting per se. I'm not crazy about many of these...although I do like the image from Torensluis Bridge in Amsterdam

http://vimeo.com/75030908 (http://vimeo.com/75030908)
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 04, 2013, 07:07:43 pm
When you only have 3 lens to take the shot -- no zooming to the exact spots , you thought of  :D..  You frame in the camera  > I usually produced 16X16 enlargements -- 
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: brandtb on October 04, 2013, 07:14:13 pm
J - I understand exactly about all the equipment/gear you had...I think most all of the images you've posted in User Critiques were using this or similar gear. But comments are about the images posted.../B
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 04, 2013, 07:26:13 pm
I will see if I can crop -- I shoot so full-format of what ever camera is in hand  ;D
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 04, 2013, 07:29:54 pm
BRANDTB Great stuff on your Holland adventure  -- wish the new technology  >> was available the years I traveled to Europe --  would had been fun just to shoot from the hip .. no tripod with long exposures   ;D
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: brandtb on October 04, 2013, 08:31:49 pm
Thanks Joe, I didn't bring any tripod for the Lumix although sometimes I use a very small one...it was really great in a way...as you say "to shoot from the hip"...mainly I just didn't want to keep asking my wife to wait for...setups.  Would have rather had an RX100 maybe. I used DSLR equipment at Bokrijk, tripods etc. - as well as the Lumix.
Title: Re: Flows from the Nile
Post by: cjogo on October 04, 2013, 08:43:48 pm
Thanks Joe, I didn't bring any tripod for the Lumix although sometimes I use a very small one...it was really great in a way...as you say "to shoot from the hip"...mainly I just didn't want to keep asking my wife to wait for...setups.  Would have rather had an RX100 maybe. I used DSLR equipment at Bokrijk, tripods etc. - as well as the Lumix.

I waited to marry ~~  till I found a women who could travel with a tripod   >>   and spend just as long at one spot --as me  ;D