Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on September 30, 2013, 01:55:01 pm

Title: Forest
Post by: armand on September 30, 2013, 01:55:01 pm
from the kayak, as fishing was just not going where I was hoping

PS. no color tint this time  ;)
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: dhancock on September 30, 2013, 04:56:56 pm
For what it is, I like #2 best. Your horizon on the first is square in the middle. Try using the rule of thirds: http://danielhancockphotography.com/uncategorized/rule-of-thirds/. I would love to see what you could have done by working the scene a little more. Also, I think you could use a little more contrast. Good subject! Kayaks are hard to take pictures from, as they are very low. I've seen too many photographs including the front of the kayak - not that you couldn't get a completely unique shot, but they all seem to start looking the same.  :P
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: RSL on September 30, 2013, 05:54:10 pm
The light's wonderful, Armand, but B&W needs strong graphics, and I don't see strong graphics in these pictures. Are there color versions?
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: David Eckels on September 30, 2013, 06:02:27 pm
The light's wonderful, Armand, but B&W needs strong graphics, and I don't see strong graphics in these pictures. Are there color versions?
Agree. The diagonal tree trunk in #2 and the shafts of light have potential if they could be emphasized more relative to the background. Russ' idea of color as well could be very good. For #1, for me, it all sort of blends together. Hate to say it right under Russ' comment, but would you consider a square crop of the left side and focusing on those lovely light rays?
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: RSL on September 30, 2013, 06:17:12 pm
Shame, shame, David. Tsk, tsk.
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: David Eckels on September 30, 2013, 07:05:12 pm
Shame, shame, David. Tsk, tsk.
I AM ashamed!  :'(
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: armand on September 30, 2013, 09:51:39 pm
It's funny how often when I post a bw the critique is that lacks contrast and most of the times I thought I might have pushed the contrast too much.
I'm not unaware of the rule of thirds but it's optional after all (and here it's not in middle if look, more like 3/5).

Either way here are a few processing versions. The bw1 1 I already had, in the other 2 I pushed the processing in opposite ways.
I also have the color version but here it doesn't feel that strong.
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: dhancock on October 01, 2013, 07:48:36 am
This is what I was thinking.

Here, I placed bw 2 over bw 1, at 77% opacity. Then, I adjusted the levels, primarily changing the white. Then, I sharpened and exported.
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: RSL on October 01, 2013, 08:04:04 am
It's funny how often when I post a bw the critique is that lacks contrast and most of the times I thought I might have pushed the contrast too much.
I'm not unaware of the rule of thirds but it's optional after all (and here it's not in middle if look, more like 3/5).

Either way here are a few processing versions. The bw1 1 I already had, in the other 2 I pushed the processing in opposite ways.
I also have the color version but here it doesn't feel that strong.
It's not a question of contrast, and it has nothing to do with the rule of thirds. It's a question of graphic strength. In B&W you need graphical clarity, and even though the light through the trees is marvelous, these pictures don't have graphical clarity. The color version is a little better, but there's still no clear point of connection for the eye.
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: brandtb on October 01, 2013, 08:20:11 am
Note ... the "water's edge" is not necessarily "the horizon" in first image as commented on.
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: David Eckels on October 01, 2013, 09:29:32 am
So, here's what I was thinking:
Please forgive. Russ, don't hate me!
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: dhancock on October 01, 2013, 09:40:52 am
It's not a question of contrast, and it has nothing to do with the rule of thirds. It's a question of graphic strength. In B&W you need graphical clarity, and even though the light through the trees is marvelous, these pictures don't have graphical clarity. The color version is a little better, but there's still no clear point of connection for the eye.

I do agree, this photograph does lack strong compositional elements. However, "Graphical clearity" can be greatly helped with additional contrast. While the rule of thirds definitely should be broken occasionally, most photographs do not look good with everything placed square in the center. Of course, there are always exceptions, and photography is an art, not a science.
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: dhancock on October 01, 2013, 09:45:04 am
Note ... the "water's edge" is not necessarily "the horizon" in first image as commented on.

Words, words, words, how come they are always so easy to mess up.  :P Why can't my fingers type exactly what my mind thinks? You are correct. :) However, the water line does divide the photograph, so care should be taken on where it is placed. ::)
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: armand on October 01, 2013, 10:17:57 am
I'm the first to admit that my photoshopping skills are crap, as in non existent. I only use it for content aware fill and panos.
Theses 2 are processed in LR and then Silver Efex.

You are right that it lacks a central element, I was hoping it can look good if printed large so you can submerge in it. I'm almost sure that many non photographers will give a pass to the composition because of the light  ;D

David's square crop looks quite good, a little better than I expected considering you are cutting the oblique tree.

PS. This is shot early afternoon and that is not fog but smoke from a controlled burning they were doing on that peninsula
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: dhancock on October 01, 2013, 10:19:49 am
You sure had me fooled on the smoke. :o Not that I haven't used campfire smoke before...
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: brandtb on October 01, 2013, 10:41:33 am
I agree the idea or concept of graphic clarity is the thing to consider. I don't think there really is an image here...but David's " moving in" to the landscape bringing focus to the angles of light juxtaposed against angles of trees...is very interesting...and brings attention to something really great happening. While shooting from the boat of course is limiting...if it were possible...I would've wanted to explore this juxtapostion more closely...and shoot that. I cropped David's crop down even further to illustrate the point.  Is it a great image? Not necessarily, but things to think about
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: RSL on October 01, 2013, 11:10:17 am
Much as I hate to admit it, David, your crop is an improvement. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the basic problem of graphical clarity.
Title: Re: Forest
Post by: David Eckels on October 01, 2013, 11:15:04 am
It's not a question of contrast, and it has nothing to do with the rule of thirds. It's a question of graphic strength. In B&W you need graphical clarity, and even though the light through the trees is marvelous, these pictures don't have graphical clarity. The color version is a little better, but there's still no clear point of connection for the eye.
I was just going to agree, Russ. Armand, I tried playing with mid-tone contrast and it just does not come out and so I was going back to Russ' comment quoted above. I don't know that I'd be ready to abandon it quite yet, but how about a little Raberizing?  ;) And Russ, you're not such a bad guy after all ;)