Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Robert Brummitt on September 25, 2013, 10:02:56 am

Title: Ken
Post by: Robert Brummitt on September 25, 2013, 10:02:56 am
This is a portrait I did of my friend Ken.
I thought instead of a straight B&W I thought I do the HDR and post effects.
Title: Re: Ken
Post by: RSL on September 25, 2013, 10:57:38 am
Very nice, Robert. It's a good example of using HDR with restraint -- the way HDR ought to be used. Bravo!
Title: Re: Ken
Post by: Kirk Gittings on September 25, 2013, 11:31:32 am
Very nice, Robert. It's a good example of using HDR with restraint -- the way HDR ought to be used. Bravo!

Agreed except for the halo around the head which needs some more work.
Title: Re: Ken
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 25, 2013, 01:44:57 pm
I agree with Russ.
As for the halo, perhaps Ken is just a really angelic kind of guy.  ;)
Title: Re: Ken
Post by: Steve Weldon on September 25, 2013, 03:49:19 pm
I very much like the subject (strong character) and the way you have the background positioned.  I'm being picky here, but the background is too much in focus/sharp creating strong detail which competes with the main subject.  It shouldn't, a softer background but not enough so you can't tell what it is will allow the eye to instantly find and focus on the subject.  This would be my goal.  And.. I'm of an entirely different mind where HDR is concerned.

If you can tell it's got an "HDR effect" or was HDR processed then I personally consider the processing if not the resulting image a failure.  Some people like "effects" but I'd rather not.

HDR generally should only be used when the dynamic range of the scene exceeds the dynamic range of the camera capturing the scene.  Was this the case?  Or did you just want to change the level of the subject or background?  If so, there are better ways.



Title: Re: Ken
Post by: Robert Brummitt on September 25, 2013, 04:36:19 pm
Thank you for all your comments.
Ken is a very gentle person. He was kind enough to sit for me when he rather sit and figure his football games.
The use of HDR helped bring out the details in to background that the color version did not. I liked the movement of the water.
Thank you again.
I really appreciate it.
RB
Title: Re: Ken
Post by: Steve Weldon on September 25, 2013, 09:54:49 pm
I like this last version much better.  If color wasn't to my taste I'd convert to b&w probably using NIK.

Maybe because the size is small, but the eyes aren't pulling me in.  They almost seem in the background.  He squints a lot, but still if sharper they should stand out more.