Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Lars Anker-Rasch on September 24, 2013, 10:32:14 am
-
This is my first ever post on LuLa, having discovered this site just a few days ago. The Antarctic expedition video is what led me here.
The attached photo has some blur, as it was shot at 1/30 sec, handheld with a quite heavy Sigma 100-300 f/4 in a low light environment.
It was shot and processed way before I bought and watched the C2PS video. I might re-do the editing at some point now that I've learned a huge deal about "camera to screen".
Cheers
-
While it may simply have been a result of the low lighting, your picture has light qualities of Rembrandt's paintings. The composition is good, as well. I would try dodging the head and neck of the tallest bird and toning down a bit the lighter parts of the other two birds, but in a subtle manner. That would lead the eye to the taller bird making it the center of attention by size and brightness.
The new radial filter, reversed and with a fairly large degree of feathering, would be an ideal tool to accomplish that. Congratulations, though: the picture is quite good.
-
While it may simply have been a result of the low lighting, your picture has light qualities of Rembrandt's paintings...
Damn, Walter, you beat me to it!
Lars, welcome to LuLa! Excellent start. I agree with Walter's assessment about subtle dodging/burning improvements.
-
Another vote. I too was thinking "it looks like old Flemish paintings" even before I saw any of the other posts.
Delicious.
-
Another vote. I too was thinking "it looks like old Flemish paintings" even before I saw any of the other posts.
Delicious.
+1
Welcome!
-
It looks more like a photo of a painting than a photo. That could be good or could be bad depending on what you wanted.
What was the light source? very warm.
-
Thank you, everyone.
It looks more like a photo of a painting than a photo. That could be good or could be bad depending on what you wanted.
What was the light source? very warm.
Not initially what I was going for. It was more of a "snapshot" situation, which produced the blur and the "painterly" look. This blur was something I decided to preserve when post-processing.
There was a large large window on the left side of them. So it was indirect light from an afternoon sun. This produced a nice soft spot of light on them. The warm tone was further enhanced when I realized that the photo started to look like a painting. The background was blurred slightly and contrast was increased quite a lot, to frame them.
-
While it may simply have been a result of the low lighting, your picture has light qualities of Rembrandt's paintings. The composition is good, as well. I would try dodging the head and neck of the tallest bird and toning down a bit the lighter parts of the other two birds, but in a subtle manner. That would lead the eye to the taller bird making it the center of attention by size and brightness.
The new radial filter, reversed and with a fairly large degree of feathering, would be an ideal tool to accomplish that. Congratulations, though: the picture is quite good.
I will keep that in mind if I decide to re-edit the photo. Thank you :)
BTW: The photo was selected to be included in the new 1x.com tutorial book, which is going to be published sometime next year. Quite pleased with that! :)
-
Is there a way to have the discussion board software automatically post that response every time someone posts a photo?
We have you instead. ;)
-
... BTW: The photo was selected to be included in the new 1x.com tutorial book, which is going to be published sometime next year. Quite pleased with that! :)
Quite an accomplishment. Congrats!
-
If you wanted to selectively sharpen some details, use a small hard brush and make some of the fine lines more distinct. Tedious, at 200%, but this great image is well worth the effort.
-
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a shot!!
-
This just shows how the most sublime art can be found in the completely mundane (not that chickens are so mundane here in L.A., but you know what I mean). Plus the OP had the vision to see what good PP could bring out of the initial image.
-
"...your picture has light qualities of Rembrandt's paintings...."
My first perception. prior to reading the quote here above.
Lovely image
-
That's a superb start to your postings here! Welcome: you've set yourself a high bar for the future.
Jeremy
-
you've set yourself a high bar for the future.
Jeremy
That is indeed true. No point in setting the bar low, right? Hehe
-
That's a great photo - nice work Lars.
-
A day late and a dollar short of the familiarity of late Flemish painters to your image interpretation. A little more PP and while it is a quite nice image even if itmay not yet be an award winner, you'll learn tons more about post production work. See, "The new radial filter, reversed and with a fairly large degree of feathering, would be an ideal tool to accomplish that," has just sparked my interest into seeing how that works. Hmmmmmmmm, does anyone care to elaborate on its usage?
This is a great forum. Welcome!
-
A day late and a dollar short of the familiarity of late Flemish painters to your image interpretation. A little more PP and while it is a quite nice image even if itmay not yet be an award winner, you'll learn tons more about post production work. See, "The new radial filter, reversed and with a fairly large degree of feathering, would be an ideal tool to accomplish that," has just sparked my interest into seeing how that works. Hmmmmmmmm, does anyone care to elaborate on its usage?
This is a great forum. Welcome!
I'm working on a new version of this. It turns out that parts of the editing was done in 8-bit. Don't know when this conversion happened, but I'll include the tips here and post when the new and improved version is finished.
I don't know of a better way to explain the radial filter than that it is just like the graduated filter in LR, only as a circle. This way you get more control over individual parts of the photo, with feathering. Let's say you have a portrait where you'd like to slightly increase the exposure on one of the eyes.
-
Nicely done. And welcome to the forums!
Mike.
-
Great image LARS ~!!
-
10/10 Lars. Welcome to Lula.
-
Rembrandt all the way. And congratulations on 1X. It has the finest images on the net and is difficult to get accepted.
JMR
-
It's a fine piece of work, Lars. And welcome to LuLa.