Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on September 20, 2013, 09:43:18 am

Title: Fading Beauties
Post by: stamper on September 20, 2013, 09:43:18 am
An Oriental line up.
Title: Re: Fading Beauties
Post by: Rob C on September 20, 2013, 09:55:39 am
You really dig differential focus, don't you - so do I. A pity really fast long glass is so expensive...

What's the provenance of the shot?

Rob C
Title: Re: Fading Beauties
Post by: stamper on September 20, 2013, 10:23:49 am
Rob this was the Edinburgh Fringe festival. Nikon d600 camera and a Nikon 70- 200 f/2.8 lens. I like the differential focus but it is difficult to achieve a good shallow depth of field effect. Not from a technical point of view but aesthetically. The lens is about £1.600 and a worthwhile lens.
Title: Re: Fading Beauties
Post by: Rob C on September 20, 2013, 02:41:50 pm
Rob this was the Edinburgh Fringe festival. Nikon d600 camera and a Nikon 70- 200 f/2.8 lens. I like the differential focus but it is difficult to achieve a good shallow depth of field effect. Not from a technical point of view but aesthetically. The lens is about £1.600 and a worthwhile lens.


What did you do with your D700?

My 2.8/180 does quite nice wide opens, but I always wanted a 2.8/300 and only got myself a 4.5/300 IFED, which was crisp enough, but not wide-apertured enough. Really, I shouldn't have bought it, but in those days I had to buy in Britain for VAT reasons and during trips back to see clients; unfortunately, nobody had the faster lens in stock during the visit when I thought I needed the focal length... That's what one gets for impulse buying: expensive boo boos.

Rob C
Title: Re: Fading Beauties
Post by: stamper on September 21, 2013, 02:50:33 am
Still have it. The d700 and the d600 are going to Edinburgh today. On with a wide angle lens and one with a zoom.