Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on September 16, 2013, 03:51:22 am

Title: A forest path
Post by: Roberto Frieri on September 16, 2013, 03:51:22 am
Made it saturday, in the morning.
Hope you like it.
Title: Re: A forest path
Post by: William Walker on September 16, 2013, 04:26:17 am
Hi Roberto

For me, the spell is broken by the brightness (top left) behind the first tree. Otherwise it is like a vortex. Lovely depth.

William
Title: Re: A forest path
Post by: Roberto Frieri on September 17, 2013, 09:32:57 am
Thank you William for your comment.
Title: Re: A forest path
Post by: RSL on September 17, 2013, 10:39:15 am
It's a lovely scene, Roberto, and I don't have a problem with the light behind the first tree. But strange as it may seem, coming from a B&W lover, I think this is a scene that cries out for color. To me, the mottling of the light through the slender trees and leaves appears distractingly contrasty in B&W, but I think color would break up that effect.
Title: Re: A forest path
Post by: Rob C on September 17, 2013, 02:21:47 pm
I think Bill's right: you have the makings of a very compelling shot but aren't quite there yet. The real picture is the vortex.

Have a bash at masking the centre of the vortex and darkening the surroundings down gradually outwards. I doesn't matter if that flies in the face of reality: it's the result that always counts unless you work for detectives. (You might have been using red filters, just like St Ansel, if anyone asks.)

;-)

Rob C

Title: Re: A forest path
Post by: fike on September 23, 2013, 10:33:14 am
This is a nice composition, but I agree that the contrast is too high.  The overall effect is to harden what is more naturally a soft scene (hard and soft are totally subjective in this context).
Title: Re: A forest path
Post by: Tonysx on September 23, 2013, 08:14:15 pm
Have a bash at masking the centre of the vortex and darkening the surroundings down gradually outwards.

Do you mean "apply a bit of vignetting"?