Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on September 15, 2013, 01:35:27 am

Title: The Bridge Tender's Station
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 15, 2013, 01:35:27 am
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7306/9755029242_eef2cc342a_o.jpg)
Title: Re: The Bridge Tender's Station
Post by: stamper on September 15, 2013, 04:01:44 am
I am wondering if the building or the lights on the right are the focal point? If it is the lights you need more space to the right of the lights. Without the lights there isn't in reality an image to comment on because the building isn't a good enough focal point.
Title: Re: The Bridge Tender's Station
Post by: Harald L on September 15, 2013, 04:31:29 am
I am wondering if the building or the lights on the right are the focal point? If it is the lights you need more space to the right of the lights. Without the lights there isn't in reality an image to comment on because the building isn't a good enough focal point.


I strongly disagree. There's more in it well worth to discover. For me it isn't either the building nor the red lights but the pavement. Maybe you can title it "paved with gold". Chris, excuse me for toying with your image but it's much easier for me to describe what I mean by a small copyright-infringement than by many words.

Harald

Title: Re: The Bridge Tender's Station
Post by: stamper on September 15, 2013, 04:35:03 am
It looks over sharpened on my monitor. I am sure Chris didn't mean for the pavement to be the focal point? If so then cropping out the rest and leaving the pavement would be better?
Title: Re: The Bridge Tender's Station
Post by: Harald L on September 15, 2013, 04:39:42 am
It looks over sharpened on my monitor. I am sure Chris didn't mean for the pavement to be the focal point? If so then cropping out the rest and leaving the pavement would be better?

Hey, it's just a suggestion on a LuLa-scaled jpeg not a fine-art-print. I'm pretty sure that Chris didn't mean the pavement to be the focal point but why not changing the mind during a discussion? I know that is really hard... ;)

Harald
Title: Re: The Bridge Tender's Station
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 15, 2013, 08:17:14 am
I disagree with Stamper as well as to the building not having enough juice to be the focal point. I do have one without the receding car lights that in this exposure I left in to further emphasize the curvature of the roadway - hence, bridge. The building is (in my humble opinion) beautifully exposed both interiorly and exteriorly and I also think the roadway, while not the focal point, provides a very defined entry into the photo. I am not sure I would go as far as Harlan in the treatment of the grating, but the richness to the copper coloring leads the eye both to the car lights and the bridge tender's station...but as always, each to his/her own.

Try this link as I often find some images don't always translate as well from flickr to here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54965930@N07/9755029242/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54965930@N07/9755029242/)
Title: Re: The Bridge Tender's Station
Post by: wolfnowl on September 15, 2013, 06:43:40 pm
I prefer the one with a bit more right edge; there is a certain amount of tension between the 'guard house' and the car speeding off, and I think the lights deserve a bit more than the got in the original.

Mike.