Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: hjulenissen on September 05, 2013, 07:21:31 am

Title: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: hjulenissen on September 05, 2013, 07:21:31 am
Comments and critique appreciated
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: hjulenissen on September 05, 2013, 07:24:33 am
I really appreciate comments on IMG_0966 because the scene in person was quite breathtaking, but for some reason I was not able to capture that.

-h
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 11, 2013, 06:59:18 am
With his permission, I did an edit on one of the images in this series. Seemed to have a lot more in the colors than he first portrayed.

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3685/9681524853_4998d76e04_h.jpg)
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: Chairman Bill on September 11, 2013, 07:11:47 am
There seems to be a lot still to be had from other images here too
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: hjulenissen on September 11, 2013, 07:26:47 am
With his permission, I did an edit on one of the images in this series. Seemed to have a lot more in the colors than he first portrayed.
Thank you for your suggestions. I think that going for a "rust tone" in what appears to be "rusty" is the right thing to do now that you showed it.

I am not so sure about the sky. It seems a bit over-dramatic (not so sure that I am pleased with my own starting-point, either). Perhaps I am too weary of the dreaded "HDR-look".

What to aim for (and how to accomplish it) when editing (and how appearance seems to depend on print vs display and over time) seems to be a complex endeavour.

-h
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 11, 2013, 08:02:17 am
No HDR processes for me. I use extended dynamic range editing in channels and other masks if I want that effect. The sky just didn't have much to work with. It is perhaps a bit gnarly.
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: RSL on September 11, 2013, 08:52:48 am
Looks grossly over-processed to me. It really looks as if you got seriously carried away with the tone mapping and color saturation.
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 11, 2013, 01:19:50 pm
... Seemed to have a lot more in the colors than he first portrayed.

First rule of post-processing: never let someone from sunny Florida to edit images from gloomy Scandinavia  ;D
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 11, 2013, 05:35:12 pm
First rule of post-processing: never let someone from sunny Florida to edit images from gloomy Scandinavia  ;D
I too prefer "plausibly realistic" to "painterly." The original processing is just fine. I might up the clarity a tiny bit, but only if it improved things.
Title: Re: Coastal Scandinavia
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 11, 2013, 07:52:02 pm
First rule of post-processing: never let someone from sunny Florida to edit images from gloomy Scandinavia  ;D

Oh poo, I barely touched the image. No tone mapping, just one lights mask (curves) and one darks mask (levels). I went online for other Scandinavian coastal shots and looked at other photos of the area for proper coloration and all. Let's ask hjulenissen as to how close I got?  It may be a touch too popped, but I am still just learning this luminescence masking process and tend to get a touch heavy on some of the sliders, though am very careful in that I rarely get too close to the saturation sliders...mostly.  ;D

As to sunny Florida. This year we are over 40 inches above or normal rainfall for the entire year. We call it liquid sunshine.