Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: graeme on September 01, 2013, 01:06:39 pm

Title: Swan
Post by: graeme on September 01, 2013, 01:06:39 pm
Took this on the canal at Alrewas, Staffordshire, UK a few days ago. The beak is a bit blurry - does it bother anyone. ( Have PShopped it but might do some more work ).

All comments appreciated.

Graeme

Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Rob C on September 01, 2013, 01:34:46 pm
Took this on the canal at Alrewas, Staffordshire, UK a few days ago. The beak is a bit blurry - does it bother anyone. ( Have PShopped it but might do some more work ).

All comments appreciated.

Graeme




Great balance achieved there - not always possible with those kinds of shapes in a vertical. Another reason to love the Hasselblad 500 Series!

Had you not mentioned the bill, I wouldn't have noticed anything - still don't at that scale, so why worry about it? Can't have everything all the time, and maybe just as well. Very pleasing exactly as it is.

Rob C
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: RSL on September 01, 2013, 03:11:16 pm
Wonderful, Graeme. When I look at it Saint Saens's "Le cygne" starts playing in my head.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 01, 2013, 09:01:33 pm
Very elegant.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: louoates on September 01, 2013, 10:01:12 pm
Nicely done.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: wolfnowl on September 02, 2013, 02:32:35 am
Nicely done!

Mike.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 02, 2013, 03:44:04 am
Took this on the canal at Alrewas, Staffordshire, UK a few days ago. The beak is a bit blurry - does it bother anyone. ( Have PShopped it but might do some more work ).

I don't think the slight blur is noticeable enough to matter at all. I like the shot, and I even quite like the feeling of vertigo it inspires. The only alteration I might make is to clone out the reeds at the top: they don't seem necessary.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Peter Stacey on September 02, 2013, 04:03:43 am
Gorgeous. Wonderfully balanced and very elegant.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: francois on September 02, 2013, 06:13:43 am
…The only alteration I might make is to clone out the reeds at the top: they don't seem necessary.

Jeremy

I agree, it would make it cleaner. It's a superb image.

Bravo
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: walter.sk on September 02, 2013, 11:00:42 am
I don't think the slight blur is noticeable enough to matter at all. I like the shot, and I even quite like the feeling of vertigo it inspires. The only alteration I might make is to clone out the reeds at the top: they don't seem necessary.

Jeremy
+1.

Did you try it in B&W?
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: graeme on September 02, 2013, 06:35:21 pm
Thanks for all the kind words & suggestions guys.

The reeds at the top are actually quite important to me. I like them because they're part of a chain of visual elements which fall in from the edge of the image ( and from the world outside the photo ) and culminate at the beak of the swan.

Yes Walter, I've had a quick play at a B&W version. It could probably do with a little adjustment brush work & curve tweaking but I'm pleased with it so far.

Regards

Graeme
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: louoates on September 02, 2013, 09:05:15 pm
I love to clone out extraneous bits from my images but I think you are correct in leaving them in with this one. Cloned out details or not it's a great image. Both color and b/w work here.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: AFairley on September 03, 2013, 01:24:37 pm
Nicely elegant composition.  I think the color dynamic between the reeds and the beak is an important contract to the dynamic line mirroring of those two elements, so I think the color version is much stronger.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: RSL on September 03, 2013, 01:48:22 pm
The picture needs to be in color and the reeds are essential; without them there's really no picture: just a snap of a bird from up on the bridge.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Rob C on September 03, 2013, 02:37:09 pm
The picture needs to be in color and the reeds are essential; without them there's really no picture: just a snap of a bird from up on the bridge.


Once again, I find I have to agree with you. It's a fine image as first presented to us. Does zich in black/white as per the latest version. Very often one should stick with first impressions. I regret having seen the black/white.

Rob C
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Tonysx on September 03, 2013, 07:15:09 pm
The picture needs to be in color and the reeds are essential; without them there's really no picture: just a snap of a bird from up on the bridge.

Me too. The reeds make it and the colour adds dynamism.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 05, 2013, 03:08:33 pm
The picture needs to be in color and the reeds are essential; without them there's really no picture: just a snap of a bird from up on the bridge.

I agree with you about the colour, Russ, but which reeds? The main clump is vital, obviously; I'm not convinced by the few extraneous stalks, though.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: RSL on September 05, 2013, 05:28:39 pm
I think you're right, Jeremy. The stalks in the upper right probably can go.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: AFairley on September 05, 2013, 06:49:43 pm
I like the extraneous stalks, they make the thing look more "real," a little more lively, a little less black velvet background.  If they were really obtrusive, I might feel differently.  For that reason I also like the dark reflections at the bottom of the frame.
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Ed Blagden on September 09, 2013, 06:32:18 am
Hi Jeremy

Lovely shot - forget about B&W, the colour makes the image.

Is that you in the reflections in the middle of the bottom bit of the photo?  That is the only bit that bothers me.

Ed
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: graeme on September 10, 2013, 06:03:38 pm
How the hell did Jeremy get into my photo?!!!  :o :o :o

Yes it is my reflection at the bottom of the image. When viewed at a larger size than the attached jpeg or as an A3+ glossy print there are quite a few subtle reflections & colour changes in the water, which I like. None - studio photos are always going to capture some of the accidental mess of the real world, unless we photoshop them into illustrations or wall posters.

The extraneous stalks ( I'm getting to like that phrase ) aren't extraneous to my eyes so they stay.

Yeah the colour version is stronger but the b&w is OK in a quiet kind of way when viewed at a larger scale.

Thanks again for the input.

Graeme
Title: Re: Swan
Post by: Ed Blagden on September 12, 2013, 07:21:23 am
How the hell did Jeremy get into my photo?!!!  :o :o :o



Graeme

Oops!  I didn't check up thread properly and must have had a brain fart.  A thousand apologies.  :-[

Ed