Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Ligament on August 30, 2013, 11:14:37 pm
-
Howdy,
I'll be in Yellowstone for 7 days in September.
I have a D800e and RRS tripod.
Will be doing the typical Yellowstone enjoy and photograph everything stuff, no particular focus for me. This will be my first visit.
Lens suggestions?
I'm thinking:
Zeiss 15mm f2.8
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
Nikon 85mm 1.8G
Zeiss 135mm f2.0
Nikon 200-400mm f4 vrII
Nikon 600mm f4
Also will be bringing my DP1m, DP2m, and renting a DP3m.
-
That's a pretty nice lineup of lenses. Do you have a 105 VR Micro?
-
That's a pretty nice lineup of lenses. Do you have a 105 VR Micro?
I only own a few of the lenses listed; will be renting most of them. I do not have the 105 VR micro, but - for whatever reason - am not a fan of shooting macro...
-
I own and use the 200-400 f4 and can say it is a very, very good lens and extremely useful. If it is one that you are renting, you will want to buy it by the time you're finished with your trip. One thing I discovered photographing park moose in Denali is that sometimes you may find you need a 70-200 range. I'm not encouraging you to get so close or to break park regulations, but sometimes animals can be very close.
-
Take warm clothing. Yellowstone is high elevation. I'd expect freezing-temperature nights in Sept.
Agreed. That's a heck of a lens line-up. : )
-
I guess that you've got everything covered with all those lenses… I'm with Peter about clothing, it can be comfortably warm in September but also freezing cold so be prepared.
Have fun!
-
What focal length may be most useful for wildlife in Yellowstone? Not birds so much but larger animals one may see....?
-
I would say that a 400mm is a minimum but can be OK. Many photographers use 500mm or 600mm. Since most common wildlife (bisons, coyotes, elks, etc…) can be seen from the road, heavy lenses shouldn't be a problem.
Edit: added a missing from (in from the road).
-
Since ill be operating alot out of a car, would the nikon 800mm 5.6 be too much reach, or too slow?
-
Since ill be operating alot out of a car, would the nikon 800mm 5.6 be too much reach, or too slow?
In some places like Lamar Valley or Madison River (near West Yellowstone), a 800mm could be very useful. But I've seen that you plan to include a 200-400 lens in your arsenal, so you should be OK with a 800mm also.
Others might have a different opinion, of course…
-
With that much gear you should bring an assistant to help you deal with it all. How many weeks are you planning to be there?
since this is your first trip I suggest you rethink your gear. My suggestions are
1 D800E + 1 D4
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
Nikon 85mm 1.8G
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II
Nikon 200-400mm f4 vrII
and Nikon TC-20E III 2x or TC-17E II 1.7x Teleconverter for AF-S & AF-I Lenses
If you are planning on shooting at night to get the stars and the landscape the Zeiss 15mm f2.8 might be useful but I'd be more inclined to go with the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8|
-
With that much gear you should bring an assistant to help you deal with it all. How many weeks are you planning to be there?
:)
-
I was joking in my earlier comment about how long you were planning to be there as I saw that you were planning to be there only 7 days. Depending on the weather that might not be long enough. The place is the size of the states of Delaware and Rhode Island combined with a huge variety of terrain,features and micro-climates and you'll have to take into account possible congestion on the park roads.
Seriously take less gear, and consider this to be a scouting trip.
My rethought and revised gear list:
1 D800E + 1 D4
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II
Nikon 200-400mm f4 vrII
and Nikon TC-20E III 2x or TC-17E II 1.7x Teleconverter for AF-S & AF-I Lenses
-
I've driven the roads in National Parks with these three lenses, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, and Nikon 200-400mm f4 VR on three different camera bodies. If you need the 14-24, you'll have time to change, but otherwise scenes can present themselves suddenly. If you find rutting elk, you'll pull over and get out, set up and shoot as opportunities present. In Rocky Mountain National Park you'll find crowds of people with coolers and lawn chairs set up where the elk rut is most active. In Denali there are fewer people, but still plenty of photographers cruising for rutting moose. In either case the animals don't pay much attention to the people. However, I was quietly waiting for a big bull moose to stand up in Denali and another photographer walked in. He waited for a while and then said he was going to make something happen. The bull went from relaxed and calm to chasing both of us out of the woods in an instant. I wouldn't be surprised to read that the other guy gets trampled to death by an animal somewhere sometime. I saw his credit on a cover photo of a charging bull moose on one of the outdoor magazines a couple of years later.
-
"...I was quietly waiting for a big bull moose to stand up in Denali and another photographer walked in. He waited for a while and then said he was going to make something happen. The bull went from relaxed and calm to chasing both of us out of the woods in an instant... I saw his credit on a cover photo of a charging bull moose on one of the outdoor magazines a couple of years later."
Care to share that name?
-
Thanks Ellis. Why the D4 and not another D800E? I understand the usefulness of two (or three) bodies in a rapidly changing environment. Also, given lots of phots can be taken from the roadside, and I can throw the gear in my truck - why the concern about weight? thanks!
I was joking in my earlier comment about how long you were planning to be there as I saw that you were planning to be there only 7 days. Depending on the weather that might not be long enough. The place is the size of the states of Delaware and Rhode Island combined with a huge variety of terrain,features and micro-climates and you'll have to take into account possible congestion on the park roads.
Seriously take less gear, and consider this to be a scouting trip.
My rethought and revised gear list:
1 D800E + 1 D4
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II
Nikon 200-400mm f4 vrII
and Nikon TC-20E III 2x or TC-17E II 1.7x Teleconverter for AF-S & AF-I Lenses
-
"Why the D4 and not another D800E?"
higmuch higher maximum frame rate for wildlife and far better high ISO performance.
"Also, given lots of photos can be taken from the roadside, and I can throw the gear in my truck - why the concern about weight?"
Mobility and the number of pieces of gear to keep track of and wrangle.