Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: amolitor on August 29, 2013, 04:17:18 pm
-
.
-
I think you are hitting the wall ;D
-
Hmm, is that good, or bad?
-
From an idiom dictionary:
hit a/the (brick) wall (informal)
if you hit the wall when you are trying to achieve something, you reach a situation where you cannot make any more progress
-
Gotcha. Thanks as always, Slobodan!
-
I think it looks better a little darker.
-
Here is half of a post from amolitor on the Coastline thread:
"Most people here seem to assume that the technical details are all deliberate, thankfully, so they're not constantly telling you that your choices are wrong. You might get some feedback to the effect that your choices have such and such an effect.
It's nice!"
Giving technical advice here has driven me into technical confusion. I need to seek out the appropriate forum to learn more about shifting between color spaces. Nevertheless, ignorance of what I am doing is an insufficient bar to me posting another possible travesty, because I still think the wall could look better.
Bruce
-
You are completely welcome to argue with my technical choices, and to show me alternatives! All I ask is that you don't start from the assumption that I am an idiot and did something out of ignorance rather than conscious choice!
There's a lot of stuff I don't care much about, and the fine points of colors is one of them -- but others are welcome to differ and offer adjustments and show how they might improve things. I might even start to care, but I certainly won't object to the exercise!
-
I have a selfish habit of avoiding people I assume to be ignorant idiots. I think your posting drove close to the middle of the road technically. [I was concerned about the nature of my color, not yours.] Reworking the image for the third time, I am beginning to think that simplifying the subjects without counterfeiting the light too much was what I was after. The bricks and paint with flowers metal and otherwise are complicated enough without the grill and other realistic specifications suggested by your clear light [in my humble opinion].
Bruce
-
So, I tossed on a little Pink Floyd and when the phrase, "Hey Teachers, Leave Them Kids Alone," reverberated around my tiny office area, I gave more thought to Andy's original posted image and as well to this one trying to figure out why he titled it "Wall" yet downplayed its importance.
It is the sunflower watering device which to me commands as much attention in the scene as the wall and the flowers. A decent crop fixes that but leaves the wall and the flowers to still figure out. For my take, the wall has the most emphasis as per the titling, and the flowers become subordinate to the wall and the tin flower which in my rocking and rolling, I see as the teacher; the flowers the kids. And the wall, well, another edifice separating the haves and have nots - yet a sliver of a grating that says they're may yet be another way. Oh gads, I wax poetically today.
It's either about the wall or it's about something else or the title is all wrong.
I didn't see Bruce's edit until after I'd already made my edit. Seeing his, I get a good feel of how many different ways an image can be envisioned...I like his edit.
(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3680/9634224057_9b855c5b82_o.jpg)
It needs a good vignette, don't you think?
-
Titles are always a problem for me, I am loathe to lead the ideas with titles. "Wall" is just literally the first word that occurred to me during that 'ok, subject. um. um. Wall.' Also, the actual thing I am interested in is the black metal flower, and I don't have a handy word for that. Lastly, this is in part an exercise is graphically making that object be, obviously, the important thing. Sticking it in the title would be cheating.
Thanks, everyone, for your input! As always, top drawer stuff. I'm not convinced I can make anything of either the picture, the input, or the combination, but that's beside the point.