Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Paul Ozzello on August 28, 2013, 11:03:32 pm

Title: Epson 9890 buying advice
Post by: Paul Ozzello on August 28, 2013, 11:03:32 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on one but still have some unanswered questions. I'm going to use it primarily for black and white prints on a Windows 7 PC and chose the Espon over Canon because I'm considering converting it to use Piezography inks.

 - I've been told the print heads wear out much quicker than the 9880, how much quicker ? What is the life expectancy of the print heads ?
 - Besides the printheads are there any issues I should be aware of ? Should I get the extended warranty ?
 - How many B & W 40 x 40 inch prints can I reasonably expect out of 700ml of ink ?
 - When printing black and white, is only the black ink used ?
 - Are there any issues printing on Hahnemuhle Albrecht Durer ?
 - How much better are the piezography inks compared to the standard Epson inks ? How does it work with a Windows PC ? Is it worth it ?


Thanks in advance :)


Paul
Title: Re: Epson 9890 buying advice
Post by: Ken Doo on August 29, 2013, 12:20:48 am
Paul,

I run a 9900 for my color prints and a 9890 K7 B&W Piezography MPS printer for my B&W prints.  For the most part, I'm happy with my 9890----B&W prints are definitely better than those printed on my 9900.  I'm using a dedicated PC, Win 7 professional, QTR for the 9890.

Contacting me offline might be easier if you want to discuss details.  PM sent.

ken

Title: Re: Epson 9890 buying advice
Post by: dgberg on August 29, 2013, 11:03:58 am
Paul,
I see you are from Canada but it might be worth checking with Lexjet.
I got a quote on the 9890 last week for $3195.00 That is a fantastic price since I can use those K3 carts in my 9900.
I will be converting the 9890 into a dye sub machine.
My biggest concern is that ink change voids the warranty. JTeck one of the dye ink suppliers says they will warranty the head if I use their ink. (Need that in writing.)
Still will not have a warranty for the machine which concerns me. You may have the same issue?