Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on August 27, 2013, 08:02:15 am

Title: A walk in the mountains
Post by: Roberto Frieri on August 27, 2013, 08:02:15 am
For your review.
I like this picture just because of the subject, my father in the mountains again after a long period of physical problems, but any suggestions for improve it, or comments, are welcome.
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: Ken Bennett on August 27, 2013, 09:12:42 am
This is a fine environmental portrait. I particularly like the composition that puts his head above the horizon line. I suppose I have a sentimental attraction to this as I too love the mountains.
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: David Eckels on August 27, 2013, 10:17:52 am
I too think this is very nice. If anything, I'd open up the shadows on his face. I need to get one like this of my dad!
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 27, 2013, 10:45:44 am
I agree with k.bennett.

Your father shows great determination and sense of satisfaction at being able to be up in the mountains, and the nice layering on the mountains is a treat. I wouldn't change a thing, except possibly what David suggests.

Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: PeterAit on August 27, 2013, 10:49:27 am
That's a terrific photo, particularly given the subject matter! The mountains in the distance are lovely. Have you tried a bit less contrast?
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: RSL on August 27, 2013, 11:25:50 am
Very nice, Roberto. I agree with David, and I suspect that if you play with Peter's suggestion a bit you may find you don't need to dodge your dad very much. (Better not, anyway. He's liable to smack you.)
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: francois on August 27, 2013, 11:29:31 am
This is superb shot even without considering the sentimental aspect.
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: Roberto Frieri on August 28, 2013, 02:08:02 am
Thank you all for your comments.
This is a second version based on your suggestions.
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: francois on August 28, 2013, 04:38:34 am
It's a bit better but the original was already a splendid image!
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: David Eckels on August 28, 2013, 07:14:16 am
Thank you all for your comments.
This is a second version based on your suggestions.

Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 28, 2013, 10:01:00 am
For me, it's the whole dynamic of the upward movement which is showing great force, but not in an over-exertion context. There's vigor and purpose to the stride. Love the shot.
Title: Re: A walk in the mountains
Post by: Roberto Frieri on August 29, 2013, 03:00:12 am
Thanks again.