Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: rogerxnz on August 27, 2013, 02:33:36 am

Title: The Visitor
Post by: rogerxnz on August 27, 2013, 02:33:36 am
What do you reckon?
Roger
Title: Re: The Visitor
Post by: wolfnowl on August 27, 2013, 02:42:23 am
Some great textures, but I don't think I'd make the vignetting at the top quite so pronounced.

My $0.02

Mike.
Title: Re: The Visitor
Post by: Peter Stacey on August 27, 2013, 04:27:11 am
Yeah, great textures.

How do you find the DP2 as a camera to shoot with. Obviously the image quality is good, but what about the exposure controls (being software based rather than physical adjustments)?
Title: Re: The Visitor
Post by: francois on August 27, 2013, 05:46:50 am
I like it, it's mysterious with this dark blue sky…
Title: Re: The Visitor
Post by: rogerxnz on August 27, 2013, 06:16:49 am
The DP2M is not my "normal" camera. I bought it to travel overseas with because it was only slightly more expensive than the cost of insuring my normal gear! I enjoy using it and I find it has all the controls I need, including live view with a magnified centre selection and manual focus indicators.

I don't know what you mean by software exposure controls. The controls seem to produce what I would expect.

The output from the RAW converter is fantastically sharp and the Foveon sensor gives incredible detail. The results are more akin to those from a 30MP sensor. Some say that the converter applies sharpening by default but I don't care.
Roger

Yeah, great textures.

How do you find the DP2 as a camera to shoot with. Obviously the image quality is good, but what about the exposure controls (being software based rather than physical adjustments)?
Title: Re: The Visitor
Post by: Bruce Cox on August 27, 2013, 12:08:01 pm
As your vignetting suggests, the blue of the sky is somewhat distracting, so here is a B&W.
Title: Re: The Visitor
Post by: rogerxnz on August 27, 2013, 01:31:25 pm
Thank you, Mike. I will try this. I think you could be right.
Roger

Some great textures, but I don't think I'd make the vignetting at the top quite so pronounced.

Mike.
Title: Re: The Visitor
Post by: rogerxnz on August 27, 2013, 01:36:52 pm
That's interesting, Bruce. A theory is, if something doesn't add to an image, it is a distraction and should be removed.

I thought the limited colour helped the mysteriousness but, now, I am not sure!

Any other views on this?
Roger

As your vignetting suggests, the blue of the sky is somewhat distracting, so here is a B&W.