Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Peter Stacey on August 26, 2013, 05:39:55 pm

Title: Passage of the Soul
Post by: Peter Stacey on August 26, 2013, 05:39:55 pm
I'm normally more a color person than black and white, but this image needed to be converted.

The title kind of just stuck out as obvious:

(http://peterstacey.com/img/untitled-4.jpg)
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: petermfiore on August 26, 2013, 05:41:59 pm
I like your image very much. very powerful, great job.

Peter
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: brandtb on August 26, 2013, 05:44:27 pm
Quote
I like your image very much. very powerful, great job.
+1
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: Cem on August 26, 2013, 05:47:16 pm
Hi Peter,

I remember your excellent studies on the NAI building in Rotterdam (NL) from a few years ago, I am glad to see that you are still revisiting it. This one is a great capture and knowing the actual colors I agree that B&W is more appropriate in this case.
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: louoates on August 26, 2013, 05:50:49 pm
It works very well indeed. Makes me want to see a series of related images.
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: David Eckels on August 26, 2013, 05:55:24 pm
Really fantastic. The tones fit the subject perfectly. Eerie and beautiful.
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: Peter Stacey on August 26, 2013, 06:01:17 pm
Hi Peter,

I remember your excellent studies on the NAI building in Rotterdam (NL) from a few years ago, I am glad to see that you are still revisiting it. This one is a great capture and knowing the actual colors I agree that B&W is more appropriate in this case.

Thanks CEM.

There's something about Rotterdam in general, but the NAI in particular that keeps drawing me back. I think I have photographed that building from every possible angle, both inside and out.
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 26, 2013, 06:05:55 pm
Fine shot. Very effective.
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: RSL on August 26, 2013, 06:38:38 pm
A great grab, Peter.
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 26, 2013, 08:07:30 pm
Really fantastic. The tones fit the subject perfectly. Eerie and beautiful.

+1

A fantastic shot indeed  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: armand on August 26, 2013, 08:11:50 pm
It's perfect, I enjoy it a lot!
Title: Re: Passage of the Soul
Post by: Peter Stacey on August 26, 2013, 09:08:43 pm
Thanks everyone.

I've always appreciated the quality of a high class B&W film image or digital conversion, but having worked predominantly in color for a bit over 20 year, B&W has always seemed a little alien. Hopefully I'll be able to produce some images with more subtle tones as well.