Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on August 26, 2013, 04:51:47 pm

Title: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 26, 2013, 04:51:47 pm
You can measure the length of an alligator by taking a measurement in inches from the top of his head between just behind his eyes to the tip of his snout. Each inch represents one foot in length. This guy, although I was quite close when I tripped the shutter, I was as close as I wanted to be, measured an easy 15, quite possibly 16 inches from head to snout. Big enough to eat a full grown man.

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7321/9596193452_257138c85f_o.jpg)
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Harald L on August 26, 2013, 05:00:07 pm
Suspicious. You've hidden the EXIF's. :'(
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Johnny_Johnson on August 26, 2013, 05:11:14 pm
So, you think that it may be a Florida record length?

Later,
JJ
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: RSL on August 26, 2013, 05:39:46 pm
Not by a long shot.
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Rob C on August 26, 2013, 06:03:07 pm
So, you think that it may be a Florida record length?

Later,
JJ


For a moment, I though Chuck Berry's piano player! (No, not the overgrown water lizard.)

Oh well.

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 26, 2013, 06:05:19 pm
I can't imagine why you didn't reach out there with a tape measure to get a more precise measurement.  ;)
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Johnny_Johnson on August 26, 2013, 06:06:49 pm
Not by a long shot.
So, what is the Florida record?

Later,
JJ
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: RSL on August 26, 2013, 06:31:08 pm
Don't know, Johnny, but a few years ago in the retirement community where I nowadays spend winters we had a 16-footer that used to hang out on the bank of the river across from the marina. That gator would have kept on growing, but some asshole fed him, and in gator country "a fed gator is a dead gator." They had to kill him. I've seen gators cruise by on Lake Harris that were rowboat-length. A few years ago this guy was hanging out on the Palatlakaha river as I walked by in the morning. He's a kid -- probably about ten feet.

As a lady on a tour I once went on explained: "A gator is very stupid. All he understands is that there are predators and prey. He thinks people are predators until a person feeds him. Then he thinks people are prey."

I've told this story before on here, but I'll tell it again since I'm a garrulous old guy: A few years ago in Florida I came rolling over a hill on my road bike and right in front of me there was a ten foot gator on the left side of the road heading for his pond, which was on the right side. I was doing about 20 mph and I figured I could whip on by behind him. Unfortunately he saw me and stopped, so I had to go in front of him. He opened his mouth as wide as it would go, but didn't try to grab me as I went by. I think he was as scared of me as I was of him.
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 26, 2013, 07:06:22 pm
Suspicious. You've hidden the EXIF's. :'(

What is it you want to know about the exif? be happy to supply as needed.
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 26, 2013, 07:11:26 pm
So, you think that it may be a Florida record length?

Later,
JJ

Not sure I have to revise my size estimate as the largest gator ever captured was 13 feet, 10 1/2 inches...but that's s dead one and this puppy was wide awake.
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Johnny_Johnson on August 26, 2013, 07:17:04 pm
Don't know, Johnny, but a few years ago in the retirement community where I nowadays spend winters we had a 16-footer that used to hang out on the bank of the river across from the marina.

Interesting. According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision the record is 14' 3 1/2". I guess to be a record though one has to measure it with a tape measure, not just eye-ball it.

Later,
JJ
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 26, 2013, 07:23:45 pm
Interesting. According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision the record is 14' 3 1/2". I guess to be a record though one has to measure it with a tape measure, not just eye-ball it.

Later,
JJ

And the lives ones tend not to like being measured...
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: stamper on August 27, 2013, 04:02:48 am
What about an inside leg measurement?
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 27, 2013, 06:16:01 am
I don't know...I made my estimate according to the tour guide on the boat. All I know is that from five and a half feet away, he/she right near filled the frame shooting with a 70-200 2.8.
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: David Eckels on August 27, 2013, 01:25:51 pm
But what post did you hijack? I want credit :D :D
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 27, 2013, 01:45:11 pm
Forgot already. CRS is pretty hardcore today for me.
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: David Eckels on August 27, 2013, 03:40:15 pm
 :D :D
Forgot already. CRS is pretty hardcore today for me.
Title: Re: This is a sequel to an Eckels post I hijacked - It's just for fun
Post by: Ed Blagden on August 28, 2013, 03:35:54 am
Pah, that's nothing! 





Not sure of the size of these two but they routinely grow up to 7m (23') in length.  Guess they get plenty to eat.