Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on August 26, 2013, 03:19:12 pm

Title: Celeriac
Post by: Harald L on August 26, 2013, 03:19:12 pm
Maybe like the celery-root itself: Not everyones taste. Your opinion?
Title: Re: Celeriac
Post by: David Eckels on August 26, 2013, 03:30:36 pm
Not for me Harald. As an abstract it might work, but the little bits and pieces I find distracting. Frankly, I don't even think the pattern is all that interesting, IMHO. I know there are others that really go for this genre of shot.
Title: Re: Celeriac
Post by: sdwilsonsct on August 27, 2013, 11:30:25 am
I know there are others that really go for this genre of shot.

Yup. To me this is in line with the recent cityscapes.
Title: Re: Celeriac
Post by: RSL on August 27, 2013, 11:42:26 am
More of the kind of stuff I flip through quickly when I see it in LensWork. I guess it's just too arty for me.
Title: Re: Celeriac
Post by: churly on August 28, 2013, 07:58:16 am
Harald,
I rather like this shot so I guess I am one of those 'others'.  I don't think all good photographs require the classic focal point or to tell a direct story.  I like images that let the imagination 'do the walking' but of course the viewer has to engage in them which doesn't fit well with the 3 secs and on to the next image internet situation. 
Change and differences are refreshing.
Chuck
Title: Re: Celeriac
Post by: David Eckels on August 28, 2013, 09:23:59 am
Harald,
I rather like this shot so I guess I am one of those 'others'.  I don't think all good photographs require the classic focal point or to tell a direct story.  I like images that let the imagination 'do the walking' but of course the viewer has to engage in them which doesn't fit well with the 3 secs and on to the next image internet situation. 
Change and differences are refreshing.
Chuck
First, I am not being defensive. I do want to be clear, however, that not only have I looked at this shot for more than 3 seconds, I have studied it to try and figure out why it doesn't ring my chimes. So far, I have been unable to come up with anything other than that "profound insight." I know others really do like these shots, I understand that, but it's just an opinion, IMHO. Just wanted you to know Harald that I wasn't giving you short shrift.
Title: Re: Celeriac
Post by: churly on August 28, 2013, 11:12:19 am
Dave,
I don't think many of the folks that spend time on this critique forum are 3 s observers but it is a common mantra on the web that images have about 3 s to sell themselves.  IMO that leads to what I call 'pop' images that are as formulaic as pop music.  That's fine but it leads to a certain rather boring commonality in images.  I'm glad you are interested enough to take the time to really look at the images.

There was absolutely no put down intended in my post, it was simply my expression of my interest in Harald's image and a general indication of why I find it interesting, just as you and others expressed opinions.

Chuck
Title: Re: Celeriac
Post by: David Eckels on August 28, 2013, 12:20:06 pm
Chuck, I knew that's what you intended, but wanted to be clear about my conclusions for Harald's sake. Thanks!
Title: Re: Celeriac
Post by: Harald L on August 28, 2013, 01:44:01 pm
Thank you guys for your opinions. When I've seen the patch of celeriac I was attracted by the fuzzy weed and - to be honest - I'm attracted by the picture as well. I know that its somewhat arty and who I am that I dare to publish arty stuff ;)

But I value every opinion, even the critical ones. I live in an environment where we hold up the obligation to dissent. I don't make myself a slave of critique but it's helpful for me to see how peers think about my work.

Btw. I don't believe in the three-seconds-theorem. A picture attracts you at once or not. If not, you don't spend 3 seconds for looking and analyzing. Maybe in a peer-forum like this one this isn't true because we are so polite to each other and give them a second chance but in real world...

Harald