Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on August 25, 2013, 05:25:32 am

Title: We are sailing.
Post by: stamper on August 25, 2013, 05:25:32 am
The Firth of Clyde in Scotland with the Kyles of Bute in the background.
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 25, 2013, 07:38:04 am
I would love to say it is my shot.
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: RSL on August 25, 2013, 08:04:07 am
+1. Very nice Stamper. Bravo!
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 25, 2013, 09:52:27 am
I would love to say it is my shot.
+2.
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: Harald L on August 25, 2013, 01:01:46 pm
I would love to say it is my shot.

+3 Just beautiful. And it's all in what sailing is made from

Harald
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 25, 2013, 01:08:24 pm
Wonderful capture! The boat's slant (if that is the correct technical term) is just right.

If anything, I would increase the whites a bit (in the boat and the light rays) and decrease water contrast (again, just a tad).
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: mezzoduomo on August 25, 2013, 01:27:08 pm
Outstanding....
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: stamper on August 25, 2013, 01:31:24 pm
Wonderful capture! The boat's slant (if that is the correct technical term) is just right.

If anything, I would increase the whites a bit (in the boat and the light rays) and decrease water contrast (again, just a tad).

Slobodan I did that I didn't want to lighten it any more. I thought that if you did make a post you would possibly suggest that because the last time I posted an image before with a boat in it you made the same suggestion. Thanks any way and to all the other posters. :)
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: RSL on August 25, 2013, 01:39:30 pm
The boat's slant (if that is the correct technical term) is just right.

It's called "heel," Slobodan. The boat is heeling to starboard and from the way the sails are trimmed I'd guess it's on a starboard tack into the wind.
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on August 25, 2013, 01:58:02 pm
An elegant picture Stamper, wonderfull stuff.
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 25, 2013, 02:10:45 pm
It's called "heel," Slobodan. The boat is heeling to starboard and from the way the sails are trimmed I'd guess it's on a starboard tack into the wind.

He's not quite dipping a rail, but I'd guess not too far from it. That's the best sailing there is...bar none!
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: wolfnowl on August 26, 2013, 02:52:54 am
I would love to say it is my shot.
That we can agree on!!

Mike.
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: francois on August 26, 2013, 03:52:56 am
Wonderful… I've always loved traditional sailboat photos and this one is fantastic.

Hats off!
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: kencameron on August 26, 2013, 06:21:14 am
Gorgeous. In nitpick mode, and reporting my actual response, found myself wondering about the whiter sea in the foreground - does it pull the eye down too much? Then thought no, it balances the darker clouds at the top, and half closing my eyes to defocus confirmed that impression. But then downloaded and darkened it just a little and thought mmm, not sure. Then looked back at the original and returned to gorgeous (and envious).
Title: Re: We are sailing.
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 26, 2013, 06:41:48 am
Very good indeed! An action shot in scenery.

Jeremy