Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on August 25, 2013, 12:31:19 am

Title: The lone calla lily
Post by: cjogo on August 25, 2013, 12:31:19 am
This was some of my first digital -- the EOS 20d had the B&W app....
Title: Re: The lone calla lily
Post by: Harald L on August 25, 2013, 03:24:18 am
Outch. Go back to your hassy, please. Quite busy, distracting horizontally black/white-line cutting the lily apart.  Much more to say ... I'm pretty sure that you actually know this.

Harald
Title: Re: The lone calla lily
Post by: cjogo on August 25, 2013, 05:04:40 am
Outch. Go back to your hassy, please. Quite busy, distracting horizontally black/white-line cutting the lily apart.  Much more to say ... I'm pretty sure that you actually know this.

Harald

You know ::  you leave the comfort of your tripod ...venture out with speeds above 400...etc.   I was just testing the waters - that first digital machine.   That's why I really don't shoot anymore> plenty of Hassy/Rollei/RB/Makina/Bronica/Linhoff/Sinar images = waiting to be scanned  ;D
Title: Re: The lone calla lily
Post by: Peter Stacey on August 25, 2013, 05:57:36 am
Have to agree with Harald. Quite busy.

For me, the lily is lost against the ground as the tones are too close together when matched against the contrast of the wall. A lower perspective perhaps, with the lily leaves contrasted against the wall would have isolated them better (or a higher perspective with the flower against the ground rather than the wall), but in the current image my eye can't settle anywhere.
Title: Re: The lone calla lily
Post by: Bruce Cox on August 25, 2013, 09:28:04 am
The wall and the soil are very good.  The lily is, as it should be, an innocent by stander.  I enjoy the drama of black vs. white in the picture.
Title: Re: The lone calla lily
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on August 25, 2013, 01:59:59 pm
Interesting composition- lots to look at and discover.
Title: Re: The lone calla lily
Post by: cjogo on August 25, 2013, 04:35:19 pm
I think the calla lilies are a little too busy -- and maybe two pics in one .      Needed to spend a few more minutes to compose.  It was just a new digital camera > I could actually hold in low light = past my conventional ISO 400

This was a little earlier in the day .....

Title: Re: The lone calla lily
Post by: Peter Stacey on August 25, 2013, 04:37:45 pm
I like that. Very, very nice.