Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on August 24, 2013, 12:54:58 pm

Title: Sedimentary Critter
Post by: RSL on August 24, 2013, 12:54:58 pm
Before you decide it's over-sharpened, check the grasses and the leaves.
Title: Re: Sedimentary Critter
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 24, 2013, 05:13:57 pm
Not over-sharpened, but the poor thing's eyeball seems to have fallen out.
Title: Re: Sedimentary Critter
Post by: RSL on August 24, 2013, 05:32:13 pm
Yeah, but long ago, Eric, long ago.
Title: Re: Sedimentary Critter
Post by: kencameron on August 24, 2013, 06:26:23 pm
Before you decide it's over-sharpened, check the grasses and the leaves.
It certainly looks oversharpened, at first glance and on my monitor, or at least faintly displeasing in a way which I am inclined to attribute to oversharpening. Then I download it and check the grasses and leaves, and find no evidence of oversharpening, and look at the metadata, and find it to have been taken with a D800 and not a cell phone so eliminate one possible explanation. Then I look at it again, and it still looks faintly displeasing in the same way. I conclude that I must be missing something, possibly the bleeding obvious, and go on with the question not to attack your image, which is a nice find, but because I remember that some of my shots have looked oversharpened without being so in the same way. ???.

Modified: Is it a problem with textured rock? Mine were maybe also images of rocks. I can't find one.
Title: Re: Sedimentary Critter
Post by: kencameron on August 24, 2013, 07:35:28 pm
Here's an example. Does this look oversharpened? Is it?
Title: Re: Sedimentary Critter
Post by: wolfnowl on August 24, 2013, 07:44:44 pm
Nice find!

Here's something similar, an eagle skull:

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3550/3832192903_2639d23522_m.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfnowl/3832192903/)
Eagle Skull (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfnowl/3832192903/) by wolfnowl (http://www.flickr.com/people/wolfnowl/), on Flickr