Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on August 23, 2013, 02:43:03 pm
-
Back from Key West
(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/9547157892_3fbc45486e_b.jpg)
-
Good idea. A tad underexposed?
-
Good idea. A tad underexposed?
Yes, but deliberately.
-
You wanted contrast? I got more than I'd bargained for with this one! Actually, the lens was a 2.8/35 Nikkor and the elements were getting sort of loose... I thought that it was all in my head, but no: some other shots were so strange that the lens had to be put to sleep on the next trip back to the UK. That was a shame, because it had been the most crisp lens I could remember.
Location? Somewhere off the Spanish mainland, but I have no memory or notes of where. It wasn't work.
Rob C
-
I really like the simplicity of this shot, it is more graphic than photographic if you know what I mean.
Not sure about the grain in the sky though, was it shot on film, or is this a pseudo film look? For some reason my mind is telling me, that if it was shot with film, then it sort of adds to the image, but if it was a recent addition through a plug-in, then it doesn't.
No I don't understand my own reasoning either, but I really do like the simple graphic(ness) of the image, in fact don't spoil it for me, I will assume it is genuine grain from a negative and be happy to congratulate you on such a wonderful shot ;D
Dave
-
I really like the simplicity of this shot, it is more graphic than photographic if you know what I mean.
Not sure about the grain in the sky though, was it shot on film, or is this a pseudo film look? For some reason my mind is telling me, that if it was shot with film, then it sort of adds to the image, but if it was a recent addition through a plug-in, then it doesn't.
No I don't understand my own reasoning either, but I really do like the simple graphic(ness) of the image, in fact don't spoil it for me, I will assume it is genuine grain from a negative and be happy to congratulate you on such a wonderful shot ;D
Dave
Thanks for mentioning the graphical intent of this picture. It's a digital shot on which I've applied my "velviasque" curve-set and a scanned genuine grain.
Harald
-
I like it
-
You wanted contrast? ...
Actually not. It was just after sunset and definitely not the time for contrast. Anyway, backwash always has a beauty of it's own. It's so much in it...
Harald
-
Actually not. It was just after sunset and definitely not the time for contrast. Anyway, backwash always has a beauty of it's own. It's so much in it...
Harald
Harald,
I had imagined you wanted contrast and had underexposed (as you claim) in order to get it - for my part, I see no underexposure at all. Had you actually exposed any more, you’d have lost a lot more in the cloud and sea highlights than you have. Insofar as Velviaesque: anything but! Velvia would probably have turned your water black if you’d tried to hold onto the foam! If anything, in your image I see old C-Types from way back; they had that softness and warmth more often than not, with subjects like that. I hasten to add; you could also print them pretty contrasty too, if you so required. Of course, with digi, it all depends on how you processed your image: there might be bags of detail in them thar highlights on the original file – no way for me to tell.
Anyway, those clouds are the draw for me: saw so many of that type in so many calendars shot further south in Caribbean waters… got some similar clouds in the Bahamas for myself, but they didn’t combine with the better model shots, so they didn’t develop legs. Key West had one good thing going for it: the colour of the sea. Apart from that, it had the worst humidity we ever encountered next to Singapore. In Key West my wife simply fell to the ground – literally knocked out by the heat and humidity. Scared the hell out of me. In Singapore, it was the turn of the model, who was up on a rock. I just happened to be very close and more or less caught her as she passed out.
Wake. Yes, it becomes hypnotic; you could just as easily leap right on in and imagine yourself walking on snow. Except unless you got lucky, you’d as likely be mince. That was the nice part of having friends with boats: it was their money turning into roars and foam. But I suppose when it doesn’t mean much, then you can do it without thinking about it. Like myself taking the Fiesta down to the shops, I guess.
;-)
Ciao –
Rob C
-
...
Anyway, those clouds are the draw for me: saw so many of that type in so many calendars shot further south in Caribbean waters… got some similar clouds in the Bahamas for myself, but they didn’t combine with the better model shots, so they didn’t develop legs. Key West had one good thing going for it: the colour of the sea. Apart from that, it had the worst humidity we ever encountered next to Singapore. In Key West my wife simply fell to the ground – literally knocked out by the heat and humidity. Scared the hell out of me. In Singapore, it was the turn of the model, who was up on a rock. I just happened to be very close and more or less caught her as she passed out.
...
Rob,
Yes, the clouds of the caribbean sea are just magnificent. Regarding the humidity I agree absolutely! I don't like that climate at all but I am governed by three women (my wife and two adult daughters) and they love warmth regardless of the humidity. On the other hand my younger daughter passed out in Key West also. Now she lives in New Zealand where she has all the weather she wants. (And for landscape photography NZ is a dream!)
Harald
-
Another fantastic image Harald. I love the sense of darkness and subtle beauty of the sea and the clouds.