Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 21, 2013, 09:14:09 am

Title: San Francisco?
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 21, 2013, 09:14:09 am
Not sure in which city this was taken, but I think it was during a couple of days we spent wandering around San Francisco - but I might be wrong.

Dave
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: Rob C on August 21, 2013, 09:17:19 am
Nah, white cliffs of Dover!

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: Mjollnir on August 21, 2013, 10:01:59 am
Looks like somewhere in the financial district of SF.

The country's greatest 'urban valley' for feeling swallowed up by buildings, IMO, esp in the afternoon.
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 21, 2013, 12:39:44 pm
Wow, Dave, what a fine example of photojournalism!

Bravery in the face of great personal risk, nonetheless. Standing there, during a ginormous San Francisco earthquake, with skyscrapers toppling all around, and thinking: "Hmmm, I wonder if 1/1000s would be enough?" I admit, I would have peed my pants instead.

In any case, it is all San Andrea's fault (or San Andreas Fault?)

 ;D
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: John Koerner on August 21, 2013, 01:24:32 pm
Wow, Dave, what a fine example of photojournalism!
Bravery in the face of great personal risk, nonetheless. Standing there, during a ginormous San Francisco earthquake, with skyscrapers toppling all around, and thinking: "Hmmm, I wonder if 1/1000s would be enough?" I admit, I would have peed my pants instead.
In any case, it is all San Andrea's fault (or San Andreas Fault?)
 ;D

(http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/images/smilies/sarasticlaugh.gif)
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 21, 2013, 03:08:57 pm
Wow, Dave, what a fine example of photojournalism!

Bravery in the face of great personal risk, nonetheless. Standing there, during a ginormous San Francisco earthquake, with skyscrapers toppling all around, and thinking: "Hmmm, I wonder if 1/1000s would be enough?" I admit, I would have peed my pants instead.

In any case, it is all San Andrea's fault (or San Andreas Fault?)

 ;D

Thanks Slobodan, I will be honest, I did not know this type of thing is "photojournalism", as I just did the shot as an abstract, because, well I like abstracts I suppose, so thanks for that, but I really did not know.

Dave
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: RSL on August 21, 2013, 05:16:46 pm
Dave, what you need is "Automatic Upright" in the new Photoshop CC.

Good shooting, though.
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: David Eckels on August 21, 2013, 06:16:10 pm
Dave, what you need is "Automatic Upright" in the new Photoshop CC.

Good shooting, though.
LOL and agree.
because, well I like abstracts
I like your reply! Nice to see your versatility. Hope that does not sound condescending.
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 22, 2013, 03:41:37 am
In any case, it is all San Andrea's fault (or San Andreas Fault?)

Indeed: http://www.theonion.com/articles/san-andreas-fault-feels-terrible-for-what-its-abou,33540/

Jeremy
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 22, 2013, 01:20:43 pm
Indeed: http://www.theonion.com/articles/san-andreas-fault-feels-terrible-for-what-its-abou,33540/

Jeremy
Can't fault it for that handsome apology.  ;)
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 22, 2013, 01:28:20 pm
Not sure in which city this was taken...

Here is a friendly hint: check you metadata for the date, then cross reference it with your travel itinerary, hotel receipts, bills, etc. Or just call NSA and ask, they do it for a living ;)
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: amolitor on August 22, 2013, 03:30:37 pm
Looks like Embaracerdo Center to me.
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 22, 2013, 04:28:06 pm
Yes Andrew, I have now had a search on-line and that is exactly where it is, I had gone to photograph this stairwell

(http://static.flickr.com/156/345841423_4be5e70f0f.jpg)

and then ended wandering around the nearby buildings and clicking happily looking for abstracts.

Thanks

Dave
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: amolitor on August 22, 2013, 04:34:48 pm
Oh, yeah! I had forgotten.

The buildings are pretty blah, although I think you found something interesting there.

The raised walkway that goes west from there into the heart of downtown for several blocks on the other hand, has a TON of fascinating details! I forget if that stairwell is specifically part of that, but I recall it from some walks in that general area.
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: cjogo on August 22, 2013, 06:25:50 pm
Nah, white cliffs of Dover!

;-)

Rob C
;D ;D :D
Title: Re: San Francisco?
Post by: stamper on August 23, 2013, 04:35:58 am
The second image is compelling. One that keeps you looking for a while and that means it is seriously good.