Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: wmchauncey on August 20, 2013, 07:37:34 pm
-
Caught this one last evening...what say you all??
(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/Best-GBH-take-off-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/Best-GBH-take-off-copy.jpg.html)
.
-
the background is sort of...I don't know, over leveled to the dark side, but the bird is quite nice.
-
Was going for a "museum diorama look" :-\
-
The heron is great, and the whole picture has a lot of potential I think. If you have another processing version, maybe you could show us other options you are considering.
-
The pose of the bird is excellent. The background is distracting, though. In LR, I'd try moving the green saturation slider to the left.
Jeremy
-
On the contrary, I think it's representative of a fine piece of Venetian glassware. My Mo'n'Lo had a piece rather like our feathered friend, which we all mocked when she was around, but now, it doesn't seems so bad in memory. She also had another which looked like a couple of sticks of rhubarb. It was thrown out early on.
In a world toxic with feathery friends, a shot that reminds me of something else is valuable.
If you want artisitic action, try ballet dancers; if you want natural action, do as per this shot or, perhaps, switch to the Cliché department and catch a flying salmon doing its best to choke a bear at a low waterfall.
Isn't photography the most wonderful thing?
Rob C
-
The bird and "pose" are interesting, the background and framing is a problem. I don't know what kind of processing this image has...but the darks and lower mids are crushed bit much... Also, you are unable to see the legs of the bird, which for me is an important thing....the bottom of the bird just "rests in black"...very strange looking to me...and not in a good way. As well, the placement of bird in lower corner with unreadable background is not successful
-
If I gotta explain things, that tells me it's not as good an image as I thought...
sun is aiming from the left casting shadows, which I accentuated. More than needed?
Legs are in the shade and...knee deep in water. How might I improve the crop? Pose...??
-
I understand where light is coming from etc. I don't know much image you have to work with here...but would try the image with Heron more/nearly centered...and perhaps some of the green cropped out/toned down (did you pump the saturation?)...it is really highpowered and electric and overpowering the bird...and really doesn't add anything. To be able to see a little bit of the highlight of the legs would be better...just so it's not nearly black under the belly...pull up the blacks/shadows in the water. To be clear I think the Heron and its "pose" are great...the forms and movement in the wings...and the light, and especially the color...I just think it needs some work to make it better. Also, I mis-typed earlier...meant to say just background not unreadable bg.