Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Isaac on August 17, 2013, 01:01:44 pm
-
Sharing the Getty’s Digital Resources Freely with All (http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/open-content-an-idea-whose-time-has-come/)
-
Thanks, Isaac. It sounds like a treasure trove.
-
Inevitably, I find myself thinking of Greeks and gifts.
;-)
Rob C
-
If you've never been, and find yourself anywhere near the Getty Center in Los Angeles......DO NOT miss it.
Admission is free, but parking is $15. :o
-
If you've never been, and find yourself anywhere near the Getty Center in Los Angeles......DO NOT miss it.
Admission is free, but parking is $15. :o
http://youtu.be/pA9nxeojEH0
Q.E.D.
Rob C
-
The Getty family must be doing all this stuff to assuage their massive guilt over being so wealthy. ;D
Here's a 'tourist snap' of the entrance to the Getty Center on a blindingly beautiful LA afternoon last month.
(http://i42.tinypic.com/25zkpbr.jpg)
-
Yeah, I'd feel guilty too if I'd put together an oil company that was able to give jobs to thousands and thousands of people.
-
Yeah, I'd feel guilty too if I'd put together an oil company that was able to give jobs to thousands and thousands of people.
My guilt would know no bounds: I'd venture into photography just to assuage guilt by helping even more photographers go from 50% share to far, far less for their camera work; their gratitude would go some way to helping me through the eye of that silly needle.
It's so hard to be a saint; sure to be misunderstood.
;-)
Rob C
-
Remember JPG #1 was the guy who installed pay phones in his house for guests, and wouldn't pay any more than was tax deductable to the kidnappers of his grandson (JPG #3), even after they sent the poor kid's ear in the mail to his son (JPG #2).
So, my guess is he'll be turning in his grave (somewhere around 200 rpm) at the thought of them giving this stuff away for free.
-
Inevitably, I find myself thinking of Greeks and gifts.
I am not sure how much sense it makes to blame current institutions for the alleged sins of their long dead founders, or to express anything but gratitude for the no doubt partly (but surely not wholly) conscience-salving philanthropy that is such a strong feature of american history and society. On that basis "who should 'scape whipping?" Universal cynicism is not an improvement on universal naivety. The Getty is a wonderful institution, the initiative Isaac links seems wholly admirable, and there may be a good case for pay parking. Mr Getty himself is another story.
-
I am not sure how much sense it makes to blame current institutions for the alleged sins of their long dead founders, or to express anything but gratitude for the no doubt partly (but surely not wholly) conscience-salving philanthropy that is such a strong feature of american history and society. On that basis "who should 'scape whipping?" Universal cynicism is not an improvement on universal naivety. The Getty is a wonderful institution, the initiative Isaac links seems wholly admirable, and there may be a good case for pay parking. Mr Getty himself is another story.
Yes, those conditionals got my juices moving.
Incidently, I don't "blame" anyone for being hot on business; regarding the kid with the Van Gogh touch - that was the trouble with Rome and, worse, old Sardinia. Some places require special measures if you are special people. Can you wonder that the mega-rich aren't like the rest of us? With the best will (no pun intended) in the world, how could they be? The rest of us don't allow them to be.
;-)
Rob C