Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on August 17, 2013, 03:18:18 am

Title: Bridges
Post by: Harald L on August 17, 2013, 03:18:18 am
Seen in Manchester, UK. I know that the highlight at the top left is blowing out but I like it anyway. Comments?
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: brianrybolt on August 17, 2013, 04:43:03 am
I think it's a good shot but too contrasty for my tastes.  There is a lot going on visually in this photo and I feel the contrast takes away from the overall effect - it doesn't read as well as it could.  After looking at it again, maybe a drop in exposure would help.

Best,  Brian
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 17, 2013, 09:23:09 am
The shot is an excellent candidate for some serious dodging and burning. And yes, playing with overall contrast. Well seen.
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: RSL on August 17, 2013, 01:57:03 pm
Wow. Very nice, Harald!
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Harald L on August 17, 2013, 02:07:56 pm
Ups, I've deleted my post while you're looking at it. Hope you'll like the next one as well. (Just minor changes)

Harald
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Harald L on August 17, 2013, 02:08:58 pm
Thank you guys for your comments and critique (again). Here's a different approach.

Harald
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 17, 2013, 02:42:44 pm
Darkening the foreground pillars was a good decision. You might want to consider bringing back some of the brightness/contrast for the bridge innthenbackround. The difference in brightness would create a better sense of depth in the image, I think.
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Harald L on August 17, 2013, 07:13:42 pm
Darkening the foreground pillars was a good decision. You might want to consider bringing back some of the brightness/contrast for the bridge innthenbackround. The difference in brightness would create a better sense of depth in the image, I think.

Slobodan,

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Harald
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 18, 2013, 03:45:01 am
Seen in Manchester, UK. I know that the highlight at the top left is blowing out but I like it anyway. Comments?

I walk past that scene every morning and every evening. I keep thinking it's a great scene and that I should make some time to photograph it. I'll get some inspiration from your shot, particularly as the scaffolding has now gone.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Harald L on August 18, 2013, 04:09:12 am
I walk past that scene every morning and every evening. I keep thinking it's a great scene and that I should make some time to photograph it. I'll get some inspiration from your shot, particularly as the scaffolding has now gone.

Jeremy

Being a resident has upsides and downsides as well. Often you're blind for the beauty of your neighborhood but then you can have as many approaches as you like.

Harald
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 18, 2013, 07:30:59 am
Being a resident has upsides and downsides as well. Often you're blind for the beauty of your neighborhood but then you can have as many approaches as you like.

You put your finger precisely on my problem!

Jeremy
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on August 18, 2013, 01:55:32 pm
I prefer the original version Harald, the processing seems to be suited for the subject.
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on August 18, 2013, 01:57:30 pm
Being a resident has upsides and downsides as well. Often you're blind for the beauty of your neighborhood but then you can have as many approaches as you like.

Harald

So true.
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: Harald L on August 18, 2013, 03:04:30 pm
I prefer the original version Harald, the processing seems to be suited for the subject.

Interesting case of what you can do with one shot. The first delivers plain dark atmosphere and you can imagine to sleep under that bridges after you've burned all your money with photo-gadgets;-) while the second is kind of decent craftsmanship delivering tones and details.

Both work for me. Personally I'm torn.

Harald
Title: Re: Bridges
Post by: BernardLanguillier on August 19, 2013, 01:48:29 am
Very nice scene and composition.

I prefer the first one, but find it a tad overdone in the right foreground pilar.

Overall I would dial down structure a little bit.

cheers,
Bernard