Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on August 12, 2013, 02:38:29 pm

Title: evening across the loch
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 12, 2013, 02:38:29 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: Tonysx on August 12, 2013, 07:04:19 pm
My kind of image. Serene and peaceful. Perhaps a little too bright? But that could be my monitor or your's.
P.S. Do you remember which loch?
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: degrub on August 12, 2013, 11:05:17 pm
Perhaps the foreground stone beach could be less luminous ? It looks like it ought to be shaded. Was the light over your left shoulder ?

Frank
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 13, 2013, 04:06:10 am
My kind of image. Serene and peaceful. Perhaps a little too bright? But that could be my monitor or your's.
P.S. Do you remember which loch?

I'll check the brightness. It's Loch Ba, on Mull, looking east. I took it only a few minutes before this one (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=81009.0). It was a lovely evening, warm, not raining and even with a stiff breeze to keep the midges away.

Perhaps the foreground stone beach could be less luminous ? It looks like it ought to be shaded. Was the light over your left shoulder ?

I've not fiddled with it, so I think that's how it was. The light was behind me, perhaps coming more over my right than my left shoulder.

Jeremy
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 13, 2013, 09:56:46 am
The way the sun hits the distant mountain but not the nearer ones suggests that the shoreline is surely in shadow, or at least not getting direct sun.

I would suggest darkening the shoreline some, which will keep the sunlit mountain and clouds as the main points of interest. IMHO, this would make it look a bit more "plausible" even if it is less "accurate."

But it's quite fine as is.
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: RSL on August 13, 2013, 10:34:31 am
I don't often disagree with Eric, but this is one of those times. I think the sun-catch on the shoreline is an important part of the composition. It helps balance things.
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 13, 2013, 01:29:52 pm
I don't often disagree with Eric, but this is one of those times. I think the sun-catch on the shoreline is an important part of the composition. It helps balance things.
Does it substitute for the otherwise-missing "Hand of Man," Russ?   ;D
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: RSL on August 13, 2013, 01:56:59 pm
Looks to me as if there's somebody camped over there under the trees along the shoreline to the right, Eric. I can't quite see him, but I can intuit that he's there.
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 13, 2013, 03:56:48 pm
Looks to me as if there's somebody camped over there under the trees along the shoreline to the right, Eric. I can't quite see him, but I can intuit that he's there.
Touché.
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 14, 2013, 03:47:08 am
Does it substitute for the otherwise-missing "Hand of Man," Russ?   ;D

I doubt the pier is natural...

As to the shoreline, I've looked again at the unprocessed image and it's certainly lit.

Jeremy
Title: Re: evening across the loch
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on August 14, 2013, 01:44:29 pm
Serene and peacefull for sure.