Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 05, 2013, 12:41:16 pm

Title: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 05, 2013, 12:41:16 pm
Here's a pano from earlier this year.

I drove past this view and continued driving for a short while, as the penny slowly worked its way down the slot and into my brain, then I stopped the car and looked at the scene over my shoulder, then I reversed the car back and sat there a little while longer cogitating and looking at this scene and thinking - it's cold and it is windy out there, so is it really worth putting on my coat, gloves, woolly hat and then getting the camera out of the bag and setting up the tripod and putting on the 200mm lens and setting up the shot in such shivering conditions? and then I gave myself a mental slap, get off your fat arse and take the bloody shot!

You know one of the best tips I can give to any photographer, young, old, experienced, novice or whoever, is to make the effort and take the bloody shot, don't just sit there thinking I'm warm and is it worth it, because it's too [put inclement weather condition or whatever other feeble excuse you came up with that stopped you taking the picture, in here], just cut the crap and and take the bloody shot...!

Now several months later, I am glad I did of course :)

Dave
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 05, 2013, 02:00:03 pm
Nicely done
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 05, 2013, 02:40:53 pm
Nicely done
+1.
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: RSL on August 05, 2013, 05:38:20 pm
+1
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: WalterEG on August 05, 2013, 05:39:21 pm
I am glad you took it also Dave,  it's a cracker.  One of your best, perhaps.

I concur fully with the notion that one should get off one's arse and take the picture.

It fits very sugly with a concept of photography that I have held for over 40 years.  Get the picture NOW and deal with the editing (processing) business at a later time.  NOW is the time to be productive, not reflective.

Cheers,

W
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: Arlen on August 07, 2013, 02:24:37 pm
Beautifully done, I like it a lot Dave.
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: Tonysx on August 07, 2013, 07:31:40 pm
+1 for the likes. But am surprised it's a pano?
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: davidgp on August 08, 2013, 07:18:04 am
Great picture... I think you show me that or when I was there in July, can be?
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: Peter McLennan on August 08, 2013, 12:05:16 pm
Quote from: Dave (Isle of Skye) ... make the effort and take the bloody shot...just cut the crap and and take the bloody shot...!
Dave
[/quote

Indeed, Dave.  It was blowing sand in 80kph wind and just horrible outside the van and I looked at this for quite a while before saying "just cut out the crap and take the bloody shot"  : )

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3760/9464286953_b609fa8790_o.jpg)
Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 09, 2013, 03:00:00 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys, thank you very much  ;D

Dave
Great picture... I think you show me that or when I was there in July, can be?

Hi David, yes I think I probably did show you that image on my old gas driven laptop, it has been on there for a while, so I probably did.

Dave

Title: Re: The Highlands of Scotland - Black and White
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 09, 2013, 06:26:27 pm
[quote author=Dave (Isle of Skye) ... make the effort and take the bloody shot...just cut the crap and and take the bloody shot...!
Dave


Indeed, Dave.  It was blowing sand in 80kph wind and just horrible outside the van and I looked at this for quite a while before saying "just cut out the crap and take the bloody shot"  : )

Excellent shot Peter and well worth the effort of making yourself get out of the comfort of the van and face up to the sand storm  :)

+1 for the likes. But am surprised it's a pano?

Yes it certainly is a pano, somewhere around six verticals stitched back together into a horizontal. Pano's for me are all about calmly setting up the shot and getting everything ready (settings, focus, tripod level etc), then working out my start and finish point, then holding my breath as I frantically grab the series of shots from left to right in less than a couple of seconds - and lots and lots of practice of course :)

Dave