Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: allegretto on August 04, 2013, 09:47:06 pm

Title: DP-1 less sharp than Dp-2 or 3...?
Post by: allegretto on August 04, 2013, 09:47:06 pm
Just got my DP-3 and it's just drop-dead gorgeous on IQ and depth.

Heard the DP-2 is just as sharp, but the DP-1 is not nearly as good

To all who have a DP-1 and at least one of the others, is that your personal experience...?

Thanks in advance
Title: Re: DP-1 less sharp than Dp-2 or 3...?
Post by: K.C. on August 04, 2013, 10:47:02 pm
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp1_merrill.shtml

Or use the search function and read discussions on this topic from the last year.
Title: Re: DP-1 less sharp than Dp-2 or 3...?
Post by: allegretto on August 05, 2013, 12:56:15 am
well thank you but I have read the review. Search results were disappointing when my term was DP-1

Wanted to see if some new opinions have emerged.

No offense intended, but the more input the better for me.
Title: Re: DP-1 less sharp than Dp-2 or 3...?
Post by: palpman on August 05, 2013, 10:17:09 am
I don't own the DP1M, however what I can say is that the DP3M is better than DP2M at high ISO and colours. I'm just amazed by this camera, the pics are just pure perfection.
Title: Re: DP-1 less sharp than Dp-2 or 3...?
Post by: brianrybolt on August 05, 2013, 02:46:02 pm
I think my DPM1 is fantastic but I don't use it above 125iso.  I don't own the other 2 merrills so I can't comment on the differences between them.  Mine is very sharp.
Brian
Title: Re: DP-1 less sharp than Dp-2 or 3...?
Post by: PeGo on August 05, 2013, 04:42:46 pm
I think that the DP1M has a very good lens. But you have to remove the chromatic abberation, which occurs at the edges of the image. I use Adobe Camera Raw (Lightroom 4) for that necessary correction.
Peter
Title: Re: DP-1 less sharp than Dp-2 or 3...?
Post by: K.C. on August 05, 2013, 10:57:24 pm
well thank you but I have read the review. Search results were disappointing when my term was DP-1

Wanted to see if some new opinions have emerged.

No offense intended, but the more input the better for me.

No offense taken.

I just think Michael sums it up pretty clearly.

From Michael's review:

"After a week or shooting with the DP1M here is what I see. Basically, the lens is the only difference between the models 1 and 2. It's very sharp in the center 2/3 rds of the frame, but less so at the wide edges, and somewhat soft wide-open in the corners. The corners sharpen up nicely by f/8. There's some vignetting and some chromatic aberration in the extreme corners. Nothing that can't be fixed in Lightroom though in about 10 seconds.

Remember, this is a 19mm lens (28mm eqiv). As such it is no different that other high quality wide primes. I don't know any lens in this focal range that is without these issues, including those from Leica and Zeiss. Top quality wide angle primes are simply hard to design and make. "