Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 31, 2013, 03:47:02 pm

Title: moth?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 31, 2013, 03:47:02 pm
I have a feeling that someone identified this insect for me a while ago, but I've forgotten what it is. These were taken in southern France on a gloriously sunny afternoon a couple of weeks ago. They're heavily cropped, alas.

Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 31, 2013, 07:21:28 pm
It looks to me like a cross between a moth and a hummingbird, which is highly unlikely.
Mike, where are you?
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: wmchauncey on July 31, 2013, 08:13:41 pm
I don't know what they are but we have them in SE Michigan...never shot one though.
Would be interested to know your settings though.
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: degrub on July 31, 2013, 09:07:31 pm
Sphinx moth
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jean-jacquesboujot/5018941930/

Frank
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 01, 2013, 03:51:49 am
I don't know what they are but we have them in SE Michigan...never shot one though.
Would be interested to know your settings though.

Canon 5DII, 70-200/f4 L IS at f8, 1/1250th, ISO640. Next time I go there, I'll remember to take my 100 macro.

Jeremy
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 01, 2013, 03:52:46 am
Sphinx moth
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jean-jacquesboujot/5018941930/

Or (Eric, take note), the hummingbird hawk moth. Thanks, Frank.

Jeremy
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 01, 2013, 12:25:45 pm
Or (Eric, take note), the hummingbird hawk moth. Thanks, Frank.

Jeremy
Shucks! Every time I have a good idea, somebody else steals it first.   :(    ;)
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: fike on August 01, 2013, 04:01:01 pm
That is a really interesting critter.  Great job capturing the little guy in flight.  The composition isn't a strength of the image, and the "grain" (noise) in the background bokeh is distracting to me.
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: wmchauncey on August 01, 2013, 04:09:19 pm
Isn't it a darn shame that insects won't take the photographer into consideration when flying around searching for food.
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: fike on August 01, 2013, 04:17:07 pm
Isn't it a darn shame that insects won't take the photographer into consideration when flying around searching for food.

I can't possibly count the number of times I have made the exact same observation about those little buggers.
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 01, 2013, 06:13:16 pm
Jeremy, it's a Humming Bird Hawk Moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) we get them in the UK as well, although I do believe they migrate over from France - more info here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/worldonthemove/species/humming-bird-hawk-moth/).

Dave
Title: Re: moth?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 02, 2013, 03:57:30 am
That is a really interesting critter.  Great job capturing the little guy in flight.  The composition isn't a strength of the image, and the "grain" (noise) in the background bokeh is distracting to me.

You're right, Marc. Other than cropping, I've done almost no processing (I posted them as ID shots) and I suspect I could improve the noise with only a little effort.

They're very difficult to shoot as they're constantly on the move. I was pleased to get even a few properly focussed images.

Eric, you forgot that there's a hawk included in the party  ;)

Jeremy