Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Guilbault on July 30, 2013, 09:00:53 pm
-
What are the differences in characteristics between canvas of different GSM's. For example, a 390gsm canvas and a 450gsm once. Is more better?
-
What are the differences in characteristics between canvas of different GSM's. For example, a 390gsm canvas and a 450gsm once. Is more better?
Not necessarily. If you want neat folded corners on a small canvas wrap, then 450 g/m² isn’t going to work well.
Brian A
-
What would you consider small Brian? I'm currently stretching some 25x10 panos and although they're not as easy as the larger canvases, it's not bad. Are you suggesting that the thicker canvas 'should' be used on larger pieces?
-
What would you consider small Brian? I'm currently stretching some 25x10 panos and although they're not as easy as the larger canvases, it's not bad. Are you suggesting that the thicker canvas 'should' be used on larger pieces?
It isn't just the size of the frame, it is also the depth of the stretchers. When buying canvas for painting (oils, acrylics, etc), you can buy as much as youwant gesso it, and try it out - you can find out quite cheaply what works for your style, medium, and size. Unfortunately, with inkjet priting, you have to buy whole rolls.
And apart from anything else, you can't go by basis weight alone, more heavily textured cavas is usually thicker, and smoother canvas lighter weight.
Are you having problems with the canvas(es) you are using?
Brian A
-
I've started other threads about it, but yes. I've been using Lyve but it's out of stock currently in Canada. I've also been getting dark spots, possibly cotton seeds, and lately I've been printing a lot of high-key work, including a 6' pano that I'm going to have to reprint because of this. The Lyve is 450gsm and I've been trying to find a similar replacement. Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte "Natural" looks like a contender but it's 390gsm. I also have yet to determine if it's available in Canada (it's on the US site but not the Canadian one).
There's a couple of others that I'm looking at too, but again, the gsm is different. I just didn't know if 450 was 'that much' more than 390 and what the difference is in workability. I've only ever used Lyve. So gsm is something I wanted to learn more about.
-
My understanding: GSM is density or weight - mil is thickness. Both measures affect the quality. One mil = 1/1000 of an inch. Thus, 1/4" = 250 mils.
I use 400 gsm water resistant canvas from Canon - its fine - but according to what I have read here, what it lacks is the lycra content that makes stretching easier in Lyve.
-
Keith Cooper has a review of a couple of Innova Canvases on his site, one 350 g/m² the other 390 g/m²:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/paper/innova_canvas.html
One of which he used in a very large pano:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/exhibitions/leicester_angle.html
and http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/14m_pano_print.html
Brian A