Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on July 29, 2013, 02:09:37 pm

Title: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: cjogo on July 29, 2013, 02:09:37 pm
Just standard procedure for 30 years of my life  ;D
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: Harald L on July 29, 2013, 02:28:54 pm
These chairs, oh, these chairs. For me it's an all-american icon.

If somebody would ask me what I would associate most with USA then it would be those chairs in windows-less, mahogany-furnitured and over-cooled functions-rooms were I wasted hours and hours of precious life-time. ;)
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: Rob C on July 29, 2013, 02:41:57 pm
These chairs, oh, these chairs. For me it's an all-american icon.

If somebody would ask me what I would associate most with USA then it would be those chairs in windows-less, mahogany-furnitured and over-cooled functions-rooms were I wasted hours and hours of precious life-time. ;)


You have a thing about chairs?

Oy vey!

Rob C
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: cjogo on July 29, 2013, 02:45:49 pm
I carried those chairs across that course many times -- not fun.   :'(
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: RSL on July 29, 2013, 03:42:33 pm
Shades of Elliott Erwitt. Very nice, Joseph.
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: cjogo on July 29, 2013, 04:34:12 pm
 You need a great tripod (http://photos.imageevent.com/estrump/extra/extra/icons/BARIBEAU%20LADDER%20web.jpg)
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: RSL on July 29, 2013, 05:10:28 pm
Wow! Impressive.

And I only see one person in the group with her eyes closed: the gal at the lower left, front row. How do you get them to keep their eyes open? I shoot a large chorus every year when I'm down in Florida. Of course I shoot a whole series of exposures because if I shoot one or two I'll almost always have somebody with closed eyes. But I also start out by telling them that the most difficult part of the shoot is to make sure everybody's eyes are open. I also tell them that if they can't see the camera the camera can't see them. Then I tell them that I'm going to say "eyes open" just before I hit the shutter release. Works like a charm. Oh, and they're up on risers so I don't need that beautiful 15 foot tripod.
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: Harald L on July 29, 2013, 06:27:33 pm

You have a thing about chairs?

Oy vey!

Rob C

Ups, caught. I should be aware that a Brit will notice that at once.
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: Harald L on July 29, 2013, 06:33:53 pm
Wow! Impressive.

And I only see one person in the group with her eyes closed: the gal at the lower left, front row. How do you get them to keep their eyes open? I shoot a large chorus every year when I'm down in Florida. Of course I shoot a whole series of exposures because if I shoot one or two I'll almost always have somebody with closed eyes. But I also start out by telling them that the most difficult part of the shoot is to make sure everybody's eyes are open. I also tell them that if they can't see the camera the camera can't see them. Then I tell them that I'm going to say "eyes open" just before I hit the shutter release. Works like a charm. Oh, and they're up on risers so I don't need that beautiful 15 foot tripod.


It also works very good to advice them to hang down their head until I've counted to three. Then they shall raise their heads and look into the camera. This exercise fosters not only open eyes but also tension and posture.
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 29, 2013, 07:19:51 pm
So which is harder to lug into place: the risers, or the fifteen-foot tripod plus ladders?
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: RSL on July 29, 2013, 08:04:22 pm
It also works very good to advice them to hang down their head until I've counted to three. Then they shall raise their heads and look into the camera. This exercise fosters not only open eyes but also tension and posture.

Good point, Harald. I'll try it this year.
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: cjogo on July 29, 2013, 08:41:56 pm
Good point, Harald. I'll try it this year.

Used that method  for 30 years ~ !!  Works >> Also have them close their eyes/lower head :: and all open on three  ;)
Title: Re: How to shoot a group shot
Post by: WalterEG on July 29, 2013, 09:07:21 pm
Used that method  for 30 years ~ !!  Works >> Also have them close their eyes/lower head :: and all open on three  ;)

So many solutions to problems are universal, and datiung back to long before instant distribution of ideas on the internet.

Cheers,

W