Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on July 26, 2013, 03:08:28 am

Title: A few from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on July 26, 2013, 03:08:28 am
A few panoramic stitches captured in a valley called Nishizawa Keikoku, 3 hours away from Tokyo. Classical stuff, but it was good to have a full day shooting between me and my tripod.  ;)

(http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/9366726876_dfe44dc88a_o.jpg)

(http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5545/9363569245_8749777ae0_o.jpg)

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/9363826567_b60bb07981_o.jpg)

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/9366790917_f1087aa9d2_o.jpg)

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7367/9366790701_1152cca194_o.jpg)

All stitches from D800 and Zeiss 50mm f2.0/Leica 180mm f2.8 APO. Stitch job done with PTgui Pro.

CC most welcome.

As a side comment, I have shot the first scene on 4x5 a few years ago. I cannot believe how superior the D800 stitch is compared to Imacon scanned Provia 100F 4x5.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: francois on July 26, 2013, 03:43:39 am
Superb set of images. I like the color of the water on the first two, very deep it reminds me of some southern alpine rivers. The different and successive cascades of the first are a good way to lead the eye, well seen!

I also like the last one, with the heavy chain handrail.

I've noticed that you used PTgui Pro. Did you switch from AutoPano or did you find it more suited to this type of images?
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: 32BT on July 26, 2013, 03:48:01 am
As a side comment, I have shot the first scene on 4x5 a few years ago. I cannot believe how superior the D800 stitch is compared to Imacon scanned Provia 100F 4x5.

As we say on them internuts: picts or it didn't happen…
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: SunnyUK on July 26, 2013, 04:59:10 am
They're beautiful. The last one, in particular, makes me dream about being there and going for a walk. Lovely!
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 26, 2013, 10:06:29 am
Nice to see some "classic" Bernards again!

Lovely as always.

Cheers,

Eric M.
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on July 27, 2013, 12:32:52 am
I've noticed that you used PTgui Pro. Did you switch from AutoPano or did you find it more suited to this type of images?

Thanks Francois.

In fact I use both. I tend to use PT Gui Pro for such images because of the superior output with PS layers making it a breeze to retouch the masking of water area.

Autopano pro typically does a much better job at automatic blending but offers fewer retouching options when something goes wrong.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: francois on July 29, 2013, 06:19:26 am
Thanks Francois.

In fact I use both. I tend to use PT Gui Pro for such images because of the superior output with PS layers making it a breeze to retouch the masking of water area.

Autopano pro typically does a much better job at automatic blending but offers fewer retouching options when something goes wrong.

Cheers,
Bernard


Thanks for taking the time to explain!
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: Steve Weldon on July 29, 2013, 11:26:16 am
Very nice photographs.  Makes me miss living there.
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: PeterAit on July 29, 2013, 11:35:23 am
Pretty. But - haven't we had enough of the cotton water? If that's your preference, fine - but the whites are blown out.
Sorry to be so negative, but you did ask!
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: RSL on July 29, 2013, 12:34:26 pm
Very nice, Bernard. Reminds me of some of the stuff I saw around the Fujiya hotel -- way back in 1953.
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on July 29, 2013, 06:44:01 pm
Pretty. But - haven't we had enough of the cotton water? If that's your preference, fine - but the whites are blown out.
Sorry to be so negative, but you did ask!

Thanks for your inputs Peter, RSL and all.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: AFairley on July 29, 2013, 06:53:16 pm
Love number one, dang.  Can you tell us how many frames are stitched together?
Title: Re: A few from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on July 29, 2013, 07:13:15 pm
Love number one, dang.  Can you tell us how many frames are stitched together?

I believe that the first one was 24 frames.

I did limit the output size to a mere 150 mega pixels to keep the size of the multi-layered output below 10 GB.

Cheers,
Bernard