Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: wmchauncey on July 25, 2013, 05:06:02 pm

Title: Reflections
Post by: wmchauncey on July 25, 2013, 05:06:02 pm
When I go to car shows, it's the reflections that interest me the most.

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/car-show-reflection-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/car-show-reflection-copy.jpg.html)

Do not hesitate to opine...      ;)
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Harald L on July 25, 2013, 05:32:46 pm
Very interesting play of colors. I would cut off the bottom to make it fully abstract.

Harald
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: BernardLanguillier on July 26, 2013, 03:21:28 am
Nice. I would personally keep the bottom because the touch of reality makes this dreamlike color palette work in my view.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: francois on July 26, 2013, 03:31:26 am
Love the glossy colors. I would probably keep it as it is although cropping and leaving only the upper part of the image (as Harald suggested above) would make it completely abstract.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on July 27, 2013, 06:39:52 pm
Very interesting play of colors. I would cut off the bottom to make it fully abstract.

Harald

Excellent image, well seen and well captured - although I do I think I would try what Harald suggests, just to see what it looks like  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 27, 2013, 08:07:32 pm
Excellent image, well seen and well captured - although I do I think I would try what Harald suggests, just to see what it looks like  :)

Dave
+1.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: wmchauncey on July 27, 2013, 08:30:09 pm
Harald does have a valid point but, I remember, back before I even got into photography, if I couldn't figure out what a picture was, I automatically didn't like it.
So, my question becomes, if I crop off the bottom, will one be able to figure out that it's a car's reflection from another car, or...does it even matter?

Regardless, many thanks for the accolades.      ;)
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: seamus finn on July 27, 2013, 08:32:36 pm

Don't crop it - keep it as your shot it and stay with your instinct.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: RSL on July 27, 2013, 09:34:20 pm
+1. The fact that it's a car is an important part of the significance of the picture.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: wolfnowl on July 28, 2013, 02:14:24 am
I've thought both ways about this image - normally I'd at least try it with the bottom cropped off, but since there's a very large wheel reflected in the body chopping off the bottom becomes superfluous, I think.

Mike.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 28, 2013, 12:43:50 pm
I've cropped this on screen by scrolling the bottom off my screen, and I've decided that for me the optimum version would include the reflected wheel but not the real wheel. The reflection provides sufficient information to figure out what the photo is "of," if that's important to you, but you have to work a little to decipher it, which IMHO is a good thing.

In the original shot, the clarity of the real wheel is jarring in comparison with the elegant, smooth lines of the rest of the image.

That's my subversive (counter-RSL) opinion.  ;)

Eric M.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Arlen on July 28, 2013, 01:08:02 pm
It's a striking image either way. And since opinion on cropping off the wheel seems divided, you could split the difference and crop just a little more off rather than the entire wheel.  :)
Or just keep it the way you like it best.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: John R on July 28, 2013, 10:50:39 pm
I like the crop suggestion, because it is not simply gratuitous and based on what some like or dislike, but is in-keeping with the the obvious strong abstract quality of the image. Really fine and striking.

JR
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on July 29, 2013, 12:59:55 pm
OK, risking the wrath of the anti croppers (again), I will show you what I thought Harald may have meant and how I would have possibly cut into the image to make it an even more abstraction of colour - and please forgive me for taking the liberty of cropping your image  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Rob C on July 29, 2013, 02:48:19 pm
OK, risking the wrath of the anti croppers (again), I will show you what I thought Harald may have meant and how I would have possibly cut into the image to make it an even more abstraction of colour - and please forgive me for taking the liberty of cropping your image  :)

Dave


Shocking arrogance David, but you're absolutely right!

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Harald L on July 29, 2013, 06:36:31 pm

Shocking arrogance David, but you're absolutely right!

;-)

Rob C

+1
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: wmchauncey on July 29, 2013, 07:14:21 pm
I got a bite on that image so, I decided to crop the one that you folks saw...to this outcome.


(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/auto-reflection-rear-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/auto-reflection-rear-copy.jpg.html)

I had enough images to make another...with this result...

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/auto-reflection-side-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/auto-reflection-side-copy.jpg.html)

Which one would you show him first...the wide one is 44x24, while the other one is 26x30, native @ 300 ppi.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Arlen on July 29, 2013, 10:04:16 pm
That's the crop I had in mind when I somewhat facetiously suggested splitting the difference. But I like Dave's version, too--it just depends on whether you want to anchor it more or less firmly to the auto world.
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 30, 2013, 12:35:29 am
I think all the versions shown so far have merit, and each is likely to appeal to slightly different tastes.

Wish I'd been there to take the shot!
Title: Re: Reflections
Post by: SunnyUK on July 30, 2013, 07:13:34 am
For whatever it's worth, my favourite is the last one. It shows enough of the reflected car to make it very clear what we're looking at, and yet it's all luscious shiny abstract colours.