Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: cengell on July 25, 2013, 01:01:04 am

Title: x-rite i1profiler "error there is too much variation between identical patches"
Post by: cengell on July 25, 2013, 01:01:04 am
Hello all, last night I printed 2 13x19 RGB profile 1728 patches, with scramble patches on Red River Luster paper on a Epson 7600 and everything looked good, let it dry overnight and today I did have some scanning errors (telling me to retry at a slower speed) and after I finished scanning I went thru the process of building the profile in X-Rite i1 profiler 1.5 version and got a error x rite i1profiler "error there is too much variation between identical patches".

I read to try the low resolution check mark, and did that no change, I also read to spray it with a matte spray as the i1 lite causes a reflection that is causing my issue?

I have done many papers but never had this issue and searching Goggle did not have much for a solution, can't think I am the lucky one...

Has anybody had this issue and if so what to do to fix it?

Win 7 64b, i1 spectrophotometer, i1 Profiler v 1.5, 13x19 target size.

Thank you
Christopher
Title: Re: x-rite i1profiler "error there is too much variation between identical patches"
Post by: Paul2660 on July 25, 2013, 12:55:38 pm
I have gotten this error before.  I use 1323 patches same i1pro device.  I mainly get this error on glossy canvas.  You might try backing off the ink density maybe 5 percent.  This tends to fix the error for me.  However make sure you remember to back off the same amount when you make a print.   I put the amount in the profile name. 

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: x-rite i1profiler "error there is too much variation between identical patches"
Post by: cengell on July 25, 2013, 01:07:40 pm
Thanks Paul, but it's a RGB profile and I don't think I can reduce the ink density 5% or at all?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you
Christopher
Title: Re: x-rite i1profiler "error there is too much variation between identical patches"
Post by: Rhossydd on July 25, 2013, 02:01:47 pm
I don't think I can reduce the ink density 5% or at all?
Most Epson pro drivers allow this, check in the advanced settings, maybe 'paper config' ?
Title: Re: x-rite i1profiler "error there is too much variation between identical patches"
Post by: cengell on July 25, 2013, 02:10:49 pm
Hello Rhossydd, thank you I recall looking in there and clicking out so now I went into it and your are 100% right, I set it to -5% and will reprint and rescan later today!

I will update my findings.

I think that Paul (thank you) is thinking and found that if too much ink in on the surface may cause more light to reflect back into the i1 and cause this error?

Thank again Paul and Rhossydd!!

Christopher
Title: Re: x-rite i1profiler "error there is too much variation between identical patches"
Post by: cengell on July 26, 2013, 01:44:10 am
Hello all, well I re-scanned that same 2 13x19 1728 patches and it worked fine and I also the night before printed 933 patches and also scanned that in and got a gamut volume of 586,000 and the 1728 chart was 990,000, much better volume.

I just may print a 4096 patches and see what the gamut volume will be, but allot of scanning. LOL

Thanks to all that helped.

Christopher