Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Hugo P on July 24, 2013, 02:16:18 pm
-
Hello everyone!
I am a new member in this discussion forum and wanted to make my presentation. Since I don't find the right place to do it, thought the best way was to share a couple of images.
In the first place please forgive my poor English. My name is Hugo and I am from Portugal, but working in Angola since last year.
My favourite subject is people: portraits, street photography, etc.
These two photos were taken in a city called Kuito. I was driving when I saw these kids playing with the tank and had to take some pictures! First asked to their mothers if it was ok, and then played with them a little before these shots.
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8496/8423605814_2623d7b5c4_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8423605814/)
Sem título (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8423605814/) por Hugo P. (http://www.flickr.com/people/pinhohugo/), no Flickr
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8229/8431055326_50e9655fdf_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8431055326/)
Sem título (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8431055326/) por Hugo P. (http://www.flickr.com/people/pinhohugo/), no Flickr
-
Wow, that first photo is just amazing. Here's a war-ravaged, poor country but the exuberance and energy of the young come though in your photo. Most excellent!
-
Thank you Peter!
The war has ended 11 years ago, but it is still very present in their memories. Still, they do their best to live their lives with joy and hope in the future.
Some more photos:
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8091913034_da107dbc67_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8091913034/)
Sem título (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8091913034/) por Hugo P. (http://www.flickr.com/people/pinhohugo/), no Flickr
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8373/8436544009_3e8daed114_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8436544009/)
Sem título (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8436544009/) por Hugo P. (http://www.flickr.com/people/pinhohugo/), no Flickr
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8384/8579682134_819629b573_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8579682134/)
Sem título (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8579682134/) por Hugo P. (http://www.flickr.com/people/pinhohugo/), no Flickr
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8235/8416253455_9335cf3e42_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8416253455/)
The HALO Trust (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8416253455/) por Hugo P. (http://www.flickr.com/people/pinhohugo/), no Flickr
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/8568879903_68f4d30cbe_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8568879903/)
Sem título (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8568879903/) por Hugo P. (http://www.flickr.com/people/pinhohugo/), no Flickr
-
Good eye and composition. Welcome!
-
Thank you Slobodan!
-
What a powerful set of images! The optimism and joy on the faces is inspiring.
Let me add my welcome to the forum, too.
Eric M.
-
Me too, Hugo. Your documentary shots are excellent. You probably ought to try for a job as a stringer for a news service. You're good at what you do.
-
Thank you all!
I'm just an amateur with some free time anda a camera... 3 in fact! :)
-
Hi Hugo, and welcome to the list! Your B&W work is very powerful. Keep it up!
Mike.
-
Great street photography. Congratulations. Alan.
-
Welcome abord!
-
Love the tones!
-
The mines aren't all in Angola; welcome to
the battle zone Lula!
;-)
Rob C
-
Thank you again! I am pleased to share some pictures with you.
I will finish this topic with a self portrait!
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8103/8609875161_a4c6265e76_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8609875161/)
Sem título (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinhohugo/8609875161/) por Hugo P. (http://www.flickr.com/people/pinhohugo/), no Flickr
-
I found myself especially drawn to the image of the two boys atop the tank as it shows the influence of Western dress and culture on the boy sitting astride a once powerful gun, making me wonder if it also represents what the future might bring for these youthful lads. Great documentary style in your work. Looking forward of more to come.
-
Thanks for sharing your awesome works. You have a clear and obvious gift for interacting with people as well as and capturing people with a camera.
If you haven’t done so, I recommend you submit some of your works to any of the bigger newspapers and/or monthly publications. I’d be surprised if you didn’t land one or more feature articles.
-
Thank you Chris! It will be a pleasure to post a lot more pictures! :)
Justan, thank you very much! Indeed, before taking these pictures I must present myself to them, chat, gain their trust. And only then I ask to take some pictures.
Working here (civil engineer), away from my family, Photography is my companion, it is a way to pass the free time. Never thought about showing to any big publication. Although, next month some of these pictures will be published in a portuguese magazine.