Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on July 21, 2013, 11:38:51 pm

Title: Coastal Sheep
Post by: cjogo on July 21, 2013, 11:38:51 pm
Finally a digitally shot image  ;D  Every thing has mainly been scanned images from 20 + years ago ..
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: WalterEG on July 21, 2013, 11:46:04 pm
Stick with the film and scanning.  This has none of the customary feel of your other excellent work.

W
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: cjogo on July 21, 2013, 11:59:03 pm
Stick with the film and scanning.  This has none of the customary feel of your other excellent work.

W
I was at a wedding -- couldn't resist to grab a scenic..  Yeah, Walter >  I much prefer the customary images I display ... BUT the galleries in my town >> much prefer the scenic colour.  
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: Bruce Cox on July 23, 2013, 07:03:29 pm
I was at a wedding -- couldn't resist to grab a scenic..  Yeah, Walter >  I much prefer the customary images I display ... BUT the galleries in my town >> much prefer the scenic colour.  


The attached [but have now removed] may not be scenic color, but I thought it might help.  I layered a B & W conversation over the original to mute and adjust it a little.
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: cjogo on July 24, 2013, 01:27:21 pm
The attached may not be scenic color, but I thought it might help.  I layered a B & W conversation over the original to mute and adjust it a little.

Sure a lot of colour missin'  ..  ;D   I still have about 10% of my art work archives as color >  in the past 40 years.  May be a I will load up a few more.  :)
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: Bruce Cox on July 24, 2013, 04:58:09 pm
Sure a lot of colour missin'  ..  ;D   I still have about 10% of my art work archives as color >  in the past 40 years.  Maye a I will load up a few more.  :)

I like your B&W version of the sheep.  It is vastly superior to the one I came up with.  I have therefore now layered it over your color version.  
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: petermfiore on July 24, 2013, 06:43:17 pm
Much prefer the original.

Peter
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: kencameron on July 24, 2013, 09:20:32 pm
The bottom two thirds of the image looks nice but the sky and distant hills rather spoil things for me, in both the color (which I prefer) and B&W versions. I tried a crop, but wasn't particularly enamored of it.
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 24, 2013, 11:48:46 pm
For a color version I prefer Ken's crop, but for the overall scene I prefer the B&W version.

To me, the colors in the mountains in the original post have the unsettling "off" quality that I've seen in many of my own attempts at scanning Kodachromes. Many of mine I can't seem to fix the colors either in Lightroom or Photoshop, and those seem to work better converted to monochrome.

Thus, I feel your pain!
Title: Re: Coastal Sheep
Post by: Hyper_Vistas on July 25, 2013, 03:56:03 am
I don't think the image needs to be cropped really as the hills in the background add to the photo rather than detract. It makes me feel like "I'm there" with the mountains, rather than just looking at a herd of sheep.

I would suggest boosting the mid tones on the mountains a little and adding some more contrast to them, then masking out everything else.

Cheers, Tim.