Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on July 15, 2013, 05:26:31 am
-
Hi to you all.
Yesterday I've made this one.
Do you like it?
-
Yes. Especially the play of light within the petals.
-
Yes. Especially the play of light within the petals.
+1.
-
Yes. Especially the play of light within the petals.
+2 Simple and subtle.
-
Do you like it?
Very much.
Jeremy
-
Yes, I do like it…
-
Thank you all for your comments.
Is there any criticism about the gray background?
Someone suggested me that it would be better totally white.
-
Thank you all for your comments.
Is there any criticism about the gray background?
Someone suggested me that it would be better totally white.
Roberto,
I quickly tried to lighten the gray background and it seems to work well but you'll have to be careful to keep the flowers detached from the background. The "risk" of blending the flowers into a pure white background is high…
-
Roberto,
I quickly tried to lighten the gray background and it seems to work well but you'll have to be careful to keep the flowers detached from the background. The "risk" of blending the flowers into a pure white background is high…
Thank you Francois, I share your opinion.
-
Curious, why all the negative space above the subject?
-
Curious, why all the negative space above the subject?
The contrasting background was intended to draw attention to the main subject and reinforce it.
-
I understand the contrast, but my question again, why so much of it? Does that much negative space help or hinder your subject?
-
I understand the contrast, but my question again, why so much of it? Does that much negative space help or hinder your subject?
Remember that you are watching a little jpeg file on a monitor (your monitor, with your setting preference), not the final printed version on matte paper. ;)
I'm conscious that it's unusual to have the white on white with so much light and fine details, but the rendering on paper is far more soft.
(As always, sorry for my poor english).
-
I look at images on a profiled monitor - so that's not relevant - and besides your still missing my point and question.
Question 1, "why is there so much negative space above your subject?". Question 2 - does so much negative space help or hinder your subject?" Here are some defininitions of negative space that may clarify my questions.
Negative space, in art, is the space around and between the subject(s) of an image, and it is also a compositional tool used in both two- and three-dimensional work. The simplest way to describe it is as: "space where other things are not present." The use of equal negative space, as a balance to positive space, in a composition is considered by many as good design. This basic and often overlooked principle of design gives the eye a "place to rest," increasing the appeal of a composition through subtle means.
/Prego
-
...
Question 1, "why is there so much negative space above your subject?". Question 2 - does so much negative space help or hinder your subject?" Here are some defininitions of negative space which may clarify my questions.
...
Well, I don't think that the negative space above the subject is too much. I think that there is the right amount of negative space I need to achieve the kind of image I had in mind before pressing the shutter button, without hinder the subject or place it in the centre.
If you would like, you may download the file and crop and/or re-edit it to let me better understand what's your point of view.
-
I understand the contrast, but my question again, why so much of it? Does that much negative space help or hinder your subject?
It helps! In fact it is necessary, IMHO. With any less, the flowers would feel cramped. As it is, they have room to breathe.
Don't change a thing, Roberto!
Eric M.
-
For me, it's too much non-useful negative space. I would make the ratio as such...if the space below the flowers is divided into two units horizontally...then the upper three units.
-
Brandt,
The photo is like a lovely lady in a flowing long skirt, the skirt doesn't have to be that long, but..damn she looks elegant in a long one.
Same thing with this photo, the space gives it a casual elegance, and...damn it DOES look good.
Rich
P.S. You could always buy a copy from Roberto for a fine sum and take a paper cutter to it. ???
-
Rich- just a reminder...the forum is called "User Critiques" ...and MR designated this as "a place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs"... /B
-
I think the grey negative space works with the shadows to provide a fading point and the depth that makes it work. All of it is needed to keep the balance.