Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: AFairley on July 09, 2013, 12:42:11 pm

Title: 2509-7
Post by: AFairley on July 09, 2013, 12:42:11 pm
Definitely not one of the greats, but I felt like printing something and this was the best of the current bunch.  I do like the colors though, albeit the subject matter and light is rather humdrum.  Plus the lines and shadow in the stairs, which could have been the basis for a photo in themselves.

(http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/2013/content/images/large/2509-7.jpg)
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: nemo295 on July 09, 2013, 01:27:00 pm
I like the colors too. And I like it for its unadorned graphic impact.
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: Rob C on July 09, 2013, 01:44:17 pm
Yes, it's interesting and would - for me- be even more so with the blue toned down, regardless of how realistic or otherwise it might be. It's so strong that it distracts, overpowers and makes viewing difficult.

But as I said, an interesting place.

Rob C
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: RSL on July 09, 2013, 02:18:27 pm
I like it. It's sort of Lee Friedlander in color -- or maybe Martin Parr without people.
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: WalterEG on July 09, 2013, 04:36:13 pm
I like this a lot but feel it might benefit from being a bit wider to reveal a tad more context.

I seldom see work like this on Lu-La (more is the pity) but it evokes thought of Lewis Baltz or perhaps approaching Stephen Shore.

Colour seems somewhat redundant here since I think the geometrics could find better voice in black & white.

Thanks for getting my day off to a great start by posting it.

W
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: ahbnyc on July 10, 2013, 12:25:34 pm
Great picture imho. I really like the shapes and the color.  Might be made even better by cropping out the stuff to the right of the building and maybe even the street in front. Not sure about the parking sign though there isn't much you can do about that.
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: AFairley on July 10, 2013, 12:45:23 pm
Thanks for the comments, all.  Rob, point taken about the sky, I will have to try a version with a little desat in the blue to see how it looks.  Walter, I general like more context too, but in this case the structure at the left of the building just continued on and I thought including more would start to split the subject too much, and there was stuff on the sidwalk at the street corner that was sort of distracting . . . so, tightish crop.
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 10, 2013, 01:34:50 pm
Love it! As-is.
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: seamus finn on July 10, 2013, 02:28:08 pm
 
Just came across this today. I like it, especially the subtle little inclusion of the stairs. I'd love to see a figure stepping up there. I'd also like to see more of these 'still lives' posted here. After all, how many with a camera would have even pause to take this shot? No a gathering without the 'eye', i think
Title: Re: 2509-7
Post by: graeme on July 11, 2013, 01:40:39 pm
Like it a lot. Might be nice to tone down the blue ever so slightly. Would be interested to see the transform controls used to make the face of the building an even rectangle with perfect horizontals & verticals, but I would say that...

B & W could be interesting.

Graeme