Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on June 26, 2013, 03:12:42 pm

Title: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: Harald L on June 26, 2013, 03:12:42 pm
Why should a still life only be artificially arranged? Real life can be a nice still life, too.

Harald

 
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 26, 2013, 03:28:07 pm
Quite lovely (and retro?). I would, however, tone down those strong highlights in the circular saw (?) in the left third of the image, and introduce some stronger vignetting. I would personally also tone it warm black, add some grain (perhaps), etc.
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: Harald L on June 26, 2013, 03:55:27 pm
Quite lovely (and retro?). I would, however, tone down those strong highlights in the circular saw (?) in the left third of the image, and introduce some stronger vignetting. I would personally also tone it warm black, add some grain (perhaps), etc.

Slobodan, thank you for your suggestions. I've warped it hearty.

Harald
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: RSL on June 26, 2013, 04:44:43 pm
By golly, look at that, add a bit of toning and a dash of grain and you've got instant pictorialism!
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: David Eckels on June 26, 2013, 06:32:36 pm
I like it, though can't tell you why, breaks the "business" rule, but then maybe that's the subject! Reminds me of my grandfather's shop, though his was much neater (as in well arranged) ;)
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: Harald L on June 27, 2013, 01:37:10 am
I like it, though can't tell you why, breaks the "business" rule, but then maybe that's the subject! Reminds me of my grandfather's shop, though his was much neater (as in well arranged) ;)

Indeed, this workplace is definitely not managed by 5S-principles. But is it necessary to know why a picture does please?

Harald
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: wolfnowl on June 27, 2013, 02:19:35 am
Well done.

Mike.
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: Harald L on June 27, 2013, 02:29:06 am
By golly, look at that, add a bit of toning and a dash of grain and you've got instant pictorialism!

As long I thought that pictorialism is even about adding soft focus, vignette, grain and tone. :'(
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: David Eckels on June 27, 2013, 08:19:03 am
Indeed, this workplace is definitely not managed by 5S-principles. But is it necessary to know why a picture does please?
Just noticed the title...yes, real life is messy! As to why, the answer is yes, if I am trying to recognize "what works." I am envious of the formal training that some of the folks in LuLa land have received as I suspect I would understand their critiques somewhat better! Had to go to Wikipedia for a description of pictorialism :P
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: brandtb on June 27, 2013, 08:31:43 am
Very nice image! I prefer the first one, but second perhaps with less grain...
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: amolitor on June 27, 2013, 08:38:04 am
Pictorialism got a bad rap. I'm not sure where the muddy messes we associate with it came from, to be honest.

Ansel Adams started out as a pictorialist, but what people don't realize is that despite rejecting it relatively early, he remained a pictorialist his entire career. Robinson was all about sharp, detailed, and picturesque.

I'm not a fan of this particular picture, it strikes me as excessively random. There's some pleasure in the texture and arrangement of objects, and there are some appealing things about the frame, but it doesn't pull together for me. In Robinson's vernacular (which I assume he borrowed from contemporary painting or something) this picture has Variety, a modest degree of Balance, and not enough Unity. There's also some Breadth, but very little Repose.
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: RSL on June 27, 2013, 11:12:31 am
Hi Andrew, To me, the most significant mark of pictorialism isn't its muddyness; it's its maudlin sentimentality, much like country music. And Henry Peach Robinson was the worst of the fake sentimentalists.

But yes, pictorialists tried to make their photographs look like classic paintings, an attempt that didn't come off too well. I guess it depends on your definition of pictorialism whether or not Adams remained a pictorialist. I think he got away from the worst of the sentimentality, but he still was trying to make paintings with a camera.
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: amolitor on June 27, 2013, 11:36:57 am
Yeah, the sentimentality was pretty tedious! I quite dislike most of what Robinson made, but I quite like a lot of what he liked (Turner, basically).

Mainly I judge Adams later work as pictorialist because I recently read "Pictorial Effect in Photography" and virtually everything Adams ever showed the world is literally textbook, from that textbook. Of course, that's not all there is about pictorialism, the movement went on for a long time after that, and lots of people wrote things and defined things (including Robinson).

Anyways, um. Sorry for the derailment.
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: nemo295 on June 27, 2013, 12:44:24 pm
Robinson was just awful in my opinion. Photos like "Fading Away" are the most syrupy, sentimental treacle imaginable. Adams, on the other hand, may have retained certain aspects of pictorialism in his later work, but gauzy sentimentality wasn't one of them. Images from his Zone System peak, such as "The Tetons--Snake River", "Winter Sunrise, Sierra Nevada from Lone Pine, California" and "Mount McKinley and Wonder Lake, Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska" have a directness of vision and quiet grandeur that are breathtaking because their power comes from the artist's affinity with the natural world. They possess a creative integrity that Robinson's staged panderings to 19th century bourgeoise sensibilities lack.
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 27, 2013, 01:59:32 pm
Slobodan, thank you for your suggestions. I've warped it hearty.

Good shot, but processed now a little bit too much, in my view, Harald.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Still Life from Real Life
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on June 27, 2013, 02:43:26 pm
Good shot, but processed now a little bit too much, in my view, Harald.

Jeremy

I prefer the first one too.