Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on June 26, 2013, 02:46:44 pm
-
One tough shot :o ..... Do you know how many tourist/ buses are at this spot any given day in Paris ;D ?? A very tall Gitzo tripod... on my tip toes . SWC Hassy > Yellow Filter... would had not been able to focus with a SLR >> just set my focus on the SuperWide and F22 .
-
Terrific shot and unique AFAIK. This has got to be one of the most photographed churches anywhere and you've nailed it with enough to make the identification, but also to make it uniquely yours. Well done! And yes! I do know how many tourists are crawling all over Le Pigalle!
-
thanks for viewing >>> if I was 5 inches shorter I could had never reached the viewfinder of the Hassy SWC ...
.... as I said ~~ lucky I did not have to focus. Just looked under the cameras lens and adjusted the hyper focal ... F 22 seemed to nail it fairly well...
-
Yes, it's a fantastic image and while it looks like an easy shot, the number of tourists around Sacré Cœur is a real challenge. FWIW, I've have no personal photo of Sacré Cœur in my collection (taken at short distance).
-
One thing that is missing for me here is the extraordinary dome(s)...which for many are the defining element of Sacre Couer. From what you said, you were "working against quite a number of constraints just to get an image. It appears as if you were all the way out on the plaza in front - and barely got the bases of the capitals - and not any of the pavement that the bases are resting on. In arch. photos like this, I would generally like to see a little bit of the ground plane. I think this shot is okay as a reference shot - with a very beautiful sky background, but doesn't really tell the story of Sacre Coeur...or portray its architectural magic. An analogy might be, of shooting only the lower 2/3s of Half-Dome - to the extent that the unique curved top or its defining element is unseen...that certainly would be an "image of Half-Dome" - but leave the viewer without the essential piece of visual information. I might ask myself, what did I get in the end from "hurdling" all these constraints? An option would have been to stand face the SC more obliquely and get the upper pediment and some of the domes...with that sky and the light...that might've been quite nice.
-
One thing that is missing for me here is the extraordinary dome(s)...which for many are the defining element of Sacre Couer. From what you said, you were "working against quite a number of constraints just to get an image. It appears as if you were all the way out on the plaza in front - and barely got the bases of the capitals - and not any of the pavement that the bases are resting on. In arch. photos like this, I would generally like to see a little bit of the ground plane. I think this shot is okay as a reference shot - with a very beautiful sky background, but doesn't really tell the story of Sacre Coeur...or portray its architectural magic. An analogy might be, of shooting only the lower 2/3s of Half-Dome - to the extent that the unique curved top or its defining element is unseen...that certainly would be an "image of Half-Dome" - but leave the viewer without the essential piece of visual information. I might ask myself, what did I get in the end from "hurdling" all these constraints? An option would have been to stand face the SC more obliquely and get the upper pediment and some of the domes...with that sky and the light...that might've been quite nice.
Thats another shot ... from across Paris .. to capture the dome. Yes > I was at the end of steps. Widest lens I owned ( 37mm Biogon) AND the galleries really prefer images without people....unless famous :-)
-
One tough shot :o ..... Do you know how many tourist/ buses are at this spot any given day in Paris ;D ?? A very tall Gitzo tripod... on my tip toes . SWC Hassy > Yellow Filter... would had not been able to focus with a SLR >> just set my focus on the SuperWide and F22 .
I'd crop a tiny bit off the right hand side to achieve perfect symmetry, but that's really nitpicking. It's a fine shot.
Jeremy
-
I'd crop a tiny bit off the right hand side to achieve perfect symmetry, but that's really nitpicking. It's a fine shot.
Jeremy
Not too bad from not looking through a lens , though :o
-
Thats another shot ... from across Paris
You misunderstood entirely, I didn't say super long shot with the whole buildings and domes from way across Paris...as that obviously wasn't an option. You could have taken an oblique i.e. "situated at an angle" shot with the pediment and part of the frontice with some of the domes from nearly the same range - it would be looking UPWARD like in the shot you have - skipping the ground plane since you couldn't get it in there, or didn't want it in there....and this wouldn't have any people in it unless they were extraordinarily tall....say in the range of 24' -30'. So the image is of pediment/some of the frontice/domes. What you have is the frontice and no domes...and again to me it's not successful as the essence of Sacre Coeur is so noticeably absent. You've posted your image in "user critiques" - and this is a critique. When others have offered critique of my work and sometimes point out the failures or unseen inadequacies - it's not usually so pleasant on some level. But it's usually worthwhile for me to take some time to explore and consider what they've offered...usually... as in almost always.
-
Not too bad from not looking through a lens , though :o
True. If I could habitually do as well when I do look through the lens, I'd be a happy man.
Jeremy
-
I had just looked at this thread when I happened to be looking through an old photo album I found from when I was a kid, and lo and behold, I found almost exactly the same shot, except with a cheap point-and-shoot, and including the crowds of people at the bottom. So now I know what you meant about the tourists! I like your shot (obviously much better executed than mine).
Brian
-
You misunderstood entirely, I didn't say super long shot with the whole buildings and domes from way across Paris...as that obviously wasn't an option. You could have taken an oblique i.e. "situated at an angle" shot with the pediment and part of the frontice with some of the domes from nearly the same range - it would be looking UPWARD like in the shot you have - skipping the ground plane since you couldn't get it in there, or didn't want it in there....and this wouldn't have any people in it unless they were extraordinarily tall....say in the range of 24' -30'. So the image is of pediment/some of the frontice/domes. What you have is the frontice and no domes...and again to me it's not successful as the essence of Sacre Coeur is so noticeably absent. You've posted your image in "user critiques" - and this is a critique. When others have offered critique of my work and sometimes point out the failures or unseen inadequacies - it's not usually so pleasant on some level. But it's usually worthwhile for me to take some time to explore and consider what they've offered...usually... as in almost always.
Wish I had a zoom :) I could had taken the shot from here ::(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Aftnn_Le_Basilique_du_Sacre_Coeur_3.jpg)... only had the Hassy SWC for the morning session. I was at the end of the railing on top :o No way to move back > and I knew the galleries would not want the crowds ..
-
A story from 2007:
Under brooding clouds a friend and I visited the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur de Montmartre, perched on a small hill overlooking numerous tourist shops, hawkers, musicians, hotdogs for homesick Americans, and couples kissing each other. It is a visually stunning church that is utterly different to the Notre Dame de Paris. Dignified and quiet, nuns and priests gather for wide-ranging reflection on God and the divine life. Such solemnity precludes practically everything one may want to do in a sacred space: talk, take a photograph, drink a drink, and eat a hamburger. This, at least, is what the signs at the entrance explicitly banned. There were two big African guys enforcing the regulations. They kicked out a couple of fat drunken pink-faced tourists in pastel shirts who made a mockery of the rules by taking a photo. Within moments of their small camera's flash lighting up the cavernous interior, the two enforcers descended on them and firmly escorted them to the exit.
While we were outside the Sacré-Coeur, it began to rain. Along with many others, we took cover under the entrance way at the top of the steps of the great Church. It began to rain harder, so we all moved inside the entrance way a little more. Then the wind picked up. We moved inside a little more. Then both the rain and the wind intensified. We soon realised we were in a storm. Hiding behind even one of the immense stone pillars was useless in the face of such a deluge, and as the water descended upon us, screams of laughter and fear emanated from young American and Spanish girls as the wind enthusiastically whipped the heavy drops of rain into practically every nook and cranny of the entrance way. We tried to go inside the Church but the doors were sealed shut. People cried out for the doors to open, and they opened. We all piled in, wet, cold, and with smiles of relief and joy on our faces.
-
(Damon) Wonderful story!...great to have the memoric too. Re. the OP - I'll put up some images that illuminate my earlier comments...won't be able to do this for a few days though
-
Thanks DAMON -- good read ...
-
Thanks Damon for the story…
-
Joe-
Wish I had a zoom Smiley I could had taken the shot from here ::
seems like a rather generic shot to me no?...don't know if your galleries would like that either ...maybe the Carmel Valley gallery...Judy Royee?. To wit. I've attached a number of images. There are several illustrating the idea of "oblique shot" referred to earlier...can't say that they are great photos - but they get the domes and the pediment - and could be shot with a 37mm. There is also a map showing general locations below the plaza marked with the "red lighbulbs" where one might go to shoot upward - you might have to crop the image some and correct "verticals" some - but your shooting with a Hasselblad no?
-
Good shots Brandtb ~! I no longer have the Hassy -- Don't really shoot any longer.. have so much to scan from early days. It was so crowded that day > just found the best shot void of crowds & the location where I could my tripod high enough and still see the finder on SWC ..
Jody still around ;D
-
I no longer have the Hassy -- Don't really shoot any longer
Ouch...that sounds a bit like my..."I don't have my Martin D-35 any longer... and don't really play anymore" c'est la vie (btw that image of Mt. Saint Michel screened through trees...fantastic)
-
Ouch...that sounds a bit like my..."I don't have my Martin D-35 any longer... and don't really play anymore" c'est la vie (btw that image of Mt. Saint Michel screened through trees...fantastic)
I have so many binders full of negs > I have really never viewed ( except of contacts ) SO: have to get through all of that 40+ years ( 35 / 4X5 / 120 ) before I shoot any more ~~to add to the madness / :'( \