Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Jason DiMichele on June 24, 2013, 03:48:14 pm

Title: Using iDisplay for extra screen real estate
Post by: Jason DiMichele on June 24, 2013, 03:48:14 pm
Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a MacBook Air and iPad Mini. After doing some research of how I could utilize the iPad mini as a second screen to my MacBook Air, I came across iDisplay.

For those of you who may not have heard about iDisplay, it allows up to 35 devices, via Wi-Fi to be used as external screens (mirrored or independent). I purchased it a few days ago and have been very impressed with it.

I often tether my MacBook and my iPad to my iPhone and I can then use the iPad as a separate "monitor" for photoshop palettes, Lightroom's second display or any other app that I wish to display on there.

So far it seems like a fantastic product which I enjoy using and haven't found any real annoyances or instability issues with.

It also has a Windows client should you want to extend your screen from there. iDisplay can also be used on your iPhone to be used as a remote control for various applications running on a computer.

Cheers!
Title: Re: Using iDisplay for extra screen real estate
Post by: Jason DiMichele on June 24, 2013, 07:27:34 pm
Just wanted to add that I wouldn't consider using his setup for serious editing but it's perfect for quick on the road editing.

Cheers!
Title: Re: Using iDisplay for extra screen real estate
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 01, 2013, 11:39:53 am
Thanks. Looking at that right now.
Title: Re: Using iDisplay for extra screen real estate
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 01, 2013, 02:20:18 pm
I use Air Display -

http://avatron.com/apps/air-display


It came in very handy earlier this year when I was on travel and my MacBook Pro took a drop cracking its screen.  Air Display + iPad saved the day(s).  But as someone mentioned earlier, this is not meant for serious processing.
Title: Re: Using iDisplay for extra screen real estate
Post by: Jason DiMichele on July 02, 2013, 11:32:57 am
Thanks. Looking at that right now.

Hi Ellis,

Have you had a chance to look at this? Have you found it useful?

Cheers!
Title: Re: Using iDisplay for extra screen real estate
Post by: Ellis Vener on July 15, 2013, 12:54:50 am
Hi Jason, I am using the Adobe Nav app on my iPad in conjunction with a 27" imac. Here's what I like about it: seamless integration with Photoshop CC, nice size tool icons, and whether I am using a mouse or a Wacom Intuous 5  to navigate the image, I am finding it faster to use than most keyboard shortcuts. here is my current workign set up. The iPad is in a Wallee shell which it turn is connected to the manfrotto Magic Arm via a Tethertools Wallee Connect.
I also use the Connect+Wallee combination in various ways (generally  CamRanger is involved as well) when shooting.

Links:
Adobe Nav app: http://www.photoshop.com/products/mobile/nav
Wallee and Tethertools Connect: http://www.tethertools.com/plugging-in/wallee-ipad-modular-case/
CamRanger: http://www.camranger.com/

Full disclosure: I have no business, financial  or professional connections with any of the above companies.

 
Title: Re: Using iDisplay for extra screen real estate
Post by: Jason DiMichele on July 15, 2013, 07:10:38 pm
Ellis,

Thank you very much for explaining and displaying your setup. It definitely looks like it contributes to a very well thought out and efficient workflow. I'm considering incorporating some of your setup into my workflow. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Cheers!