Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on June 24, 2013, 02:52:13 pm

Title: Still Life in Brown
Post by: RSL on June 24, 2013, 02:52:13 pm
Title formerly was "Escalator."
Title: Re: Escalator
Post by: Harald L on June 24, 2013, 03:02:57 pm
Nice picture, but I would consider another title, e.g. "Waiting for Godot.", "Fifty ways to leave your hubby - Lesson 23" or "Rigor Mortis".
Title: Re: Escalator
Post by: graeme on June 24, 2013, 04:39:37 pm
Like it & would be fascinated to see a b&w conversion.
Title: Re: Escalator
Post by: amolitor on June 24, 2013, 04:47:24 pm
I think the color palette is what pulls this one together. b&w might be interesting, but I suspect strongly that it would be a much lesser picture.
Title: Re: Escalator
Post by: Harald L on June 24, 2013, 05:04:46 pm
I think the color palette is what pulls this one together. b&w might be interesting, but I suspect strongly that it would be a much lesser picture.


Agree
Title: Re: Escalator
Post by: PeterAit on June 24, 2013, 05:22:08 pm
Very nice! Complex but strong composition. A touch of mystery. I like the color, no B&W here. Perhaps crop out the wee bit of shrub in he lower left corner?
Title: Re: Escalator
Post by: RSL on June 24, 2013, 05:23:25 pm
Hi Graeme, Andrew, Harald and Peter are right. I tried a B&W conversion -- almost always do -- but the color's necessary for separation. Usually isn't true, but this time it is.
Title: Re: Escalator
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 24, 2013, 05:40:18 pm
"Fifty Shades of... Terra-cotta"?

But seriously, the title is misleading. Even "By The Escalator" might be more appropriate. Otherwise, quite a successful image on several levels: human element, sociological, interplay of light and shadows, tonal variations, composition...
Title: Re: Still Life in Brown
Post by: RSL on June 24, 2013, 06:06:40 pm
Thanks, Slobodan. How about "Still Life in Brown?" I frequently re-think titles.
Title: Re: Still Life in Brown
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 24, 2013, 06:13:44 pm
Thanks, Slobodan. How about "Still Life in Brown?" I frequently re-think titles.

On a side note, in my native language, "still life" is rather known as "dead nature"... quite in line with Harlem22's "Rigor Mortis"? ;)
Title: Re: Still Life in Brown
Post by: RSL on June 24, 2013, 06:18:05 pm
Well, in this case the title's in English. But I'm not sure that's the last revision. Yeah, I can see how "still life" would translate that way -- life that's been "stilled."
Title: Re: Still Life in Brown
Post by: Harald L on June 24, 2013, 06:24:04 pm
"The Nap."
Title: Re: Still Life in Brown
Post by: nemo295 on June 24, 2013, 07:01:07 pm
I like the light, I like the composition and I think the color palette is quite appealing. Good job.