Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on June 17, 2013, 10:26:58 am

Title: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 17, 2013, 10:26:58 am
I've been experimenting with several ways to control the middle tones and have made some rather startling discoveries with SEP2 CEP2 and Channels as to how far you can un-direct a tonal range. This is my fist use of the technique.

"Sisters"

(http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5327/9068352614_de68299b3d_o.jpg)
Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: amolitor on June 17, 2013, 11:34:15 am
This, like the Dark Wonder shot, is quite lovely. In this one I am a bit set back by the conversion, though.

The actual light present is pretty clear here, but the conversion creates a bit of that "backlit" sensation, which conflicts with the rest of the picture. I *think* I see this as 99% dramatic color, but there's still a hint of confusion about the light.

There's also a little grubbiness on the petal at the 1 o'clock position. The boundary between the lighter regions further out (where the petal curls around out of sight) and the darker region inside of that is a little "digital" looking. It might just be how the thing looks, though.
Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: David Eckels on June 19, 2013, 06:52:17 pm
What about a square crop with the stamens at the top third line with a moderate post crop vignette. Ouch! Ooooo! Owww! Are those slings and arrows?! I think it is very striking as a B/W; leaves color to the imagination.
Edit update: I just saw "Dark Wonder" this are two of a very nice pair!
Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 19, 2013, 08:05:05 pm
This one is very nice, but to me, the Dark Wonder really knocks my socks off.

Eric M.

Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 19, 2013, 08:14:13 pm
Thanks everyone. It's going to be a hard one to beat...but I will try, ya know.
Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: PeterAit on June 19, 2013, 08:28:57 pm
With all due respect, that just looks weird. It is totally non-aesthetic IMHO, and looks "gimmicky." Sorry to be harsh, but that's my opinion.
Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 19, 2013, 09:00:15 pm
With all due respect, that just looks weird. It is totally non-aesthetic IMHO, and looks "gimmicky." Sorry to be harsh, but that's my opinion.

You haven't hurt my feelings but I am curious as to why you think it is non-aesthetic or looks gimmicky. The post was to explore a different way of making a B&W conversion so I picked an image that would be challenging from a color range conversion standpoint. This is the original color image to show you what I had to do to get where this image sits now...for me, it is quite successful on this point..

(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/9083807655_4c2523aa16_o.jpg)

Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: David Eckels on June 19, 2013, 10:01:28 pm
For me, the color version is SO in your face and the B/W rendering allows me to focus on the shape of the parts of the flower, but Peter has terrific insights so I look forward to his "why?" answer.
Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: petermfiore on June 20, 2013, 04:01:35 am
Hi Chris,

Here is my take.
Title: Re: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 20, 2013, 07:32:31 am
Thanks, Peter. I like the crop but I'd already done one with the deeper, richer tones and was trying to pull back on those a bit...but it is a good edit and worth contemplating. It would be nice to know the process you used so I can add it to my ever growing collection of techniques.