Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Codger on June 16, 2013, 08:49:46 pm

Title: A monochrome for your review
Post by: Codger on June 16, 2013, 08:49:46 pm
In lieu of a formal "sit down" review at a conference, I'd like to draw on the sensibilities of our many experienced forum participants to see if I'm on the right track with this kind of image.  This is from a 4x5 chrome, converted with PS CS5, and cropped maybe 10% for a tighter monochrome composition.  Any input will be appreciated.
Title: Re: A monochrome for your review
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 16, 2013, 09:12:50 pm
It is a generally pleasing natural scene. I like the toning as well. What I am not quite sure about is the relative symmetry of the scene. I believe that by moving slightly to either side, you could have gotten a more dynamic composition.
Title: Re: A monochrome for your review
Post by: RSL on June 16, 2013, 09:25:02 pm
+1 except for the toning. The toning would have been nice in Pictorialist days.
Title: Re: A monochrome for your review
Post by: nemo295 on June 17, 2013, 02:05:54 am
The toning is a little too old timey looking for my taste. I would ratchet it back by about half. But otherwise I think it's a fine shot.
Title: Re: A monochrome for your review
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 17, 2013, 03:27:28 am
I like it. I think it would benefit from a little more space on the right and the toning is far too strong for my taste, though. Also, the image as posted, viewed at full size, is very soft.

Jeremy
Title: Re: A monochrome for your review
Post by: Rob C on June 17, 2013, 04:48:30 am
Codger,

I like your subject, but for me, it's ruined by the tone as well as the framework that you have stuck it into: it's overpowered.

Try even the same shot without the frame - literally with some light relief, and it will bloom.

Rob C