Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Isaac on June 15, 2013, 10:34:08 am

Title: How Do Death Valley’s “Sailing Stones” Move Themselves Across the Desert?
Post by: Isaac on June 15, 2013, 10:34:08 am
"These mysterious rocks have puzzled scientists for decades—until one geologist found the answer on his kitchen table" Smithsonian Magazine (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/How-Do-Death-Valleys-Sailing-Stones-Move-Themselves-Across-the-Desert-210843681.html)
Title: Re: How Do Death Valley’s “Sailing Stones” Move Themselves Across the Desert?
Post by: Peter McLennan on June 15, 2013, 11:20:54 am
Interesting.  Ice would certainly lower the wind forces necessary to move the larger rocks.

In Eureka Dunes recently, I found this inexplicable situation:

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7343/9051097160_9d923ae57c_b.jpg)

As far as I could tell, this pattern was entirely natural.  I can only imagine that a dust devil moved these small stones when the mud was wet. 
It was in a flat-floored basin surrounded by 50-100ft dunes.

Title: Re: How Do Death Valley’s “Sailing Stones” Move Themselves Across the Desert?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 15, 2013, 11:45:49 am
I've been always puzzled as to why is everyone puzzled. "Nobody has ever seen them moving"... Hmmm...how about setting up video cameras? I know NSA has better things to do, yet...
Title: Re: How Do Death Valley’s “Sailing Stones” Move Themselves Across the Desert?
Post by: Rob C on June 16, 2013, 04:39:18 am
Dune buggy doughnuts.

Rob C
Title: Re: How Do Death Valley’s “Sailing Stones” Move Themselves Across the Desert?
Post by: Peter McLennan on June 16, 2013, 01:35:04 pm
Dune buggy doughnuts.

Rob C

Ya, right.  : )  That circle is about a meter in diameter.  Maybe those little remote controlled cars?  : )

I've been re-thinking my hypothesis.  It might just well be an ice thing, not wind at all.
Title: Re: How Do Death Valley’s “Sailing Stones” Move Themselves Across the Desert?
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 16, 2013, 04:45:27 pm
Looks like upwelling to me, Peter.
Title: Re: How Do Death Valley’s “Sailing Stones” Move Themselves Across the Desert?
Post by: kaelaria on June 16, 2013, 06:35:41 pm
(http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m546/NoCode0680/tsoukalos.jpg)
Title: Re: How Do Death Valley’s “Sailing Stones” Move Themselves Across the Desert?
Post by: nemo295 on June 16, 2013, 09:45:15 pm
Aliens or not, I Like the photo.