Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 11, 2013, 03:25:19 pm

Title: Too arty farty?
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 11, 2013, 03:25:19 pm
OK, I know I have shot and shown something similar to this before on Lula and I also seem to be stacking up these types of shot for some reason, but while out and about with the ND filter, on a very grey and overcast day, with nothing much to shoot but wanting to get something and then just when the sunset should have been at its best, the merest of breaks in the clouds appeared many miles away across the bay and over the opposite shoreline.

I had the WB set to daylight, which I left in a straight through RAW conversion and which seems to have added a sort of blue/grey/turquoise tone to the scene, which was not what I was seeing, but it was what the camera was seeing, so I left it as is.

So, too arty farty?

Dave
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: Rob C on June 11, 2013, 03:59:01 pm
Not in the least; far more interesting than a zillion dramatic sunrises/sets which are to be seen everywhere; keep going in that direction - it will pay off in one way or another.

Off to watch 'Culture' on the Beeb!

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: AFairley on June 11, 2013, 04:33:21 pm
You can never be too rich or too arty.  Farty not so good, though.   ;D
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: Tony Jay on June 11, 2013, 04:33:30 pm
Magnifique!

Truly spectacular shot.
Minimalist composition yes, but, jam-packed with visual interest.
Even the arty-farty crowd love a beautiful image and this image does not disappoint.

Take a bow Dave.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: 32BT on June 11, 2013, 05:22:22 pm
So, too arty farty?

Yes, too technically correct. Nowhere near in the same league as Crack of Dawn.

What is so devastatingly good about the crack of dawn image is the scribbling in the crack which looks like a secret code we can not read (but might be able to feel in our guts had we not grown so darn rational) and by which the sunrise is trying to tell us something about the imminent apocalyptic disaster as represented in the clouds.

too technically correct:
This is merely a reasonable experiment in abstraction, color, and crop. The portrait crop works well, the balance works well, and possibly when printed large, it may exhibit nice detail in the clouds. But it lacks subject and it also lacks that "drama" that the Crack of Dawn had. So, it's not a failure, but it is not an A+ either. (for me personally, in my not so humble opinion, ymmv, etc, etc, etc)
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: Justan on June 11, 2013, 05:24:57 pm
To the OP: Do you like it?



Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: WalterEG on June 11, 2013, 05:40:09 pm
If it were mono it would ring my bells.  Sort of like a Sugimoto with a distraction.
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: nemo295 on June 11, 2013, 06:31:59 pm
I rather like it. Subtle colors. Pleasing minimalist composition.
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 11, 2013, 07:08:40 pm
+1
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: kencameron on June 11, 2013, 07:19:16 pm
I found it frustrating to look at this one on the small scale available. I would love to see it as a large print. For it to be convincing as a representation, one would need to see more textural detail than is available on my screen. I am left with considering it as an abstract, where the comparison is with a lot of similar-looking paintings, and where painters have the advantage of complete control over colors, proportions etc.
Title: Re: Too arty farty?
Post by: RSL on June 11, 2013, 09:34:23 pm
+1