Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Mjollnir on June 10, 2013, 10:00:46 am

Title: Fun wide open: which one, if either, and why?
Post by: Mjollnir on June 10, 2013, 10:00:46 am
There's a block of houses on Hawthorne, just west of La Brea, that are some of the few remaining single-family residences left on the street so far east.

One of them is a burned out old husk of a place, really creepy at night, but I was walking back from the gym early yesterday morning, and a worker was there, getting ready to lay a new floor in a rebuild. I asked if I could photograph the house, he said 'sure'.

There was graffiti in the back parking lot that could not otherwise be seen from the street and if the house wasn't derelict and being stripped (no doors, windows, etc...)

I did both of these really quickly, and like the first one for the whiter whites, but that can be easily changed in the second.

Shot at 1.8 w/Olympus 45mm
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/8997091524_d9afe826a7_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/8997091524/)
Faces at Burned Out House, Hawthorne (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/8997091524/) by tanngrisnir3 (http://www.flickr.com/people/87368247@N00/), on Flickr

Shot at 1.4 with the PanLeica 25mm
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7318/9006952090_1eb3088565_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/9006952090/)
Faces at Burned Out House #2, Hawthorne (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/9006952090/) by tanngrisnir3 (http://www.flickr.com/people/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Fun wide open: which one, if either, and why?
Post by: LoisWakeman on June 10, 2013, 11:13:22 am
#1 definitely - not for the whites particularly, but because there is no smeariness in the bokeh.