Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: MichaelEzra on June 05, 2013, 02:23:27 pm

Title: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: MichaelEzra on June 05, 2013, 02:23:27 pm
Just wanted to share my excitement, I just purchased Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN and used it on Nex-5r.
The image sharpness and overall rendering delivered by this lens is exceptional. It certainly lives up to its MTF graph

(http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_60_28/images/data/mtf.gif)
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: Rob C on June 05, 2013, 03:26:32 pm
Just wanted to share my excitement, I just purchased Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN and used it on Nex-5r.
The image sharpness and overall rendering delivered by this lens is exceptional. It certainly lives up to its MTF graph

(http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_60_28/images/data/mtf.gif)


A picture would be better...

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: Vladimirovich on June 05, 2013, 03:26:42 pm
w/ onions

http://cfile29.uf.tistory.com/image/240FD444518C7563195ACA
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: petermfiore on June 05, 2013, 06:19:54 pm

A picture would be better...

;-)

Rob C
+1000

Peter
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: indusphoto on June 05, 2013, 09:25:27 pm
w/ onions

http://cfile29.uf.tistory.com/image/240FD444518C7563195ACA

What is the big deal about onion rings. Why pixel peep bokeh areas? They never show at normal size.
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: Vladimirovich on June 05, 2013, 10:01:55 pm
They never show at normal size.

we just have different "normal sizes"... I do enjoy my photos as a whole and each part @ 100% magnification, you don't (or can't)
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: MichaelEzra on June 05, 2013, 10:08:09 pm
A few quick snaps on a way from B&H back to work:
http://filebin.net/405sbhx20d
Nex-5R, 17 MB zip, developed in RawTherapee with a just bit of sharpening, saved as 95% jpg
No corrections for CA - there is none:)!
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: indusphoto on June 06, 2013, 01:32:59 am
we just have different "normal sizes"... I do enjoy my photos as a whole and each part @ 100% magnification, you don't (or can't)

Oooh, That hurts! I knew I had had put myself in a weak spot, but I did not expect this!

FYI, when I print 40x60 prints, I spend a considerable time preparing the image. I don't mind spending a few more minutes wiping out those "onion rings", but it is a hell of a lot more difficult converting the octagonal highlights into perfectly circular ones, and octagonal highlights are visible on any size, small or large.

Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: indusphoto on June 06, 2013, 01:44:16 am
A few quick snaps on a way from B&H back to work:
http://filebin.net/405sbhx20d
Nex-5R, 17 MB zip, developed in RawTherapee with a just bit of sharpening, saved as 95% jpg
No corrections for CA - there is none:)!

The picture of Skyline with all those windows has amazing details, right down to extreme corners.
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: Rob C on June 06, 2013, 04:41:48 am
The picture of Skyline with all those windows has amazing details, right down to extreme corners.


Buildings? He offers pictures of buildings? Michael Ezra?

Not at all what I had in mind.

;-(

Rob C
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: Vladimirovich on June 06, 2013, 10:20:41 am

Buildings? He offers pictures of buildings? Michael Ezra?

Not at all what I had in mind.


certainly you were looking for Ezra's nudes...
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: Vladimirovich on June 06, 2013, 10:24:03 am

FYI


I am not interested in retouching onion rings, I 'd rather have another lens on camera for such an occasion... having said that I certainly own lenses which have such rendering, including this one new S60/2.8, just for m43 mount.

Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: indusphoto on June 06, 2013, 04:07:45 pm
I am not interested in retouching onion rings, I 'd rather have another lens on camera for such an occasion... having said that I certainly own lenses which have such rendering, including this one new S60/2.8, just for m43 mount.



You are within your rights to not touch up, but the fact remains that it is a trivial issue.
Title: Re: Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN - a superb lens
Post by: Vladimirovich on June 06, 2013, 10:40:43 pm
for those who can't stand Sigma's hood... it takes Panasonic hoods from PL lenses (both from PL45/2.8 Macro and PL25/1.4)... here is a picture of PL45/2.8 Macro hood mounted, but I suggest to use the one from PL25/1.4 - it looks even better and it is deeper... part# = VYC1063

(http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5971/1030355w.jpg)